Mark DC

I have a problem with ODBC that I have not been able to resolve. I am
running Windows 2000 which is kept up to date. Recently I attempted to open a
database in Access 200 and recieved the following error message:

"The Dynamic Link Library msjet40.dll could not be located."

Having established that the msjet40 dll is where it should be I tried
deleting Office and reinstalling, only to recieve the following errors:

"Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC
error 13: Could not load the setup or translator library. Verify that the
file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it."

When I loaded the ODBC Data Source Administrator utility that too gave errors:

"The setup routines for the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) ODBC driver
could not be loaded due to a system error code 998"

"Could not load the setup or translator library"

I have checked the ODBC registry entries and everything seems correct. All
setup and driver files are present in the WINNT/System32 directory, and all
registry entries point to the correct locations. I've loaded the latest
version of MDAC (2.8 SP1) and it made no difference. I've searched for
information on this issue and found nothing that quite fitted, and have run
out of ideas on what to try.

Any suggestions?