Remoting without a network...

Robert Conde

For various reasons, I am interested in using remoting between two
application domains within the same process. But I do not want to
require that the user has a network card(which I believe would be
necessary for TcpChannel or HttpChannel?). Am I missing something or
do I need to look for some custom Channel? Or...

Thanks in Advance,
Robert Conde
6 Answers

Sunny

if you are marshaling objects between different appdomains in the same
process, you do not need network. The framework will remote all your
objects transparently for you using build-in memory channels.

If you need to remote between 2 processes, you have 2 options:
1. using build-in channels (http or tcp). You do not need a network
card, but you have to install a virtual loopback device.
2. use third party solution, which has memory channels. I have seen some
posts for MSMQ channels, and also, I have used www.genuinechannels.com.
They have shared memory channels implemented.

Hope that helps

Sunny

In article <8p5uc0tsr5rv5jqs9l9hu8dikj6361dldc@4ax.com>, jaha@tmbg.org
says...
> Hi,
> For various reasons, I am interested in using remoting between two
> application domains within the same process. But I do not want to
> require that the user has a network card(which I believe would be
> necessary for TcpChannel or HttpChannel?). Am I missing something or
> do I need to look for some custom Channel? Or...
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Robert Conde

Robert Conde

But how do I reference things...i.e. what replaces registerChannel()
and activator.GetObject("tpc:// ....

Or am I just misunderstanding something fundamental here?

Do you know of any examples using the built-in memory channels?

Rob

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:04:14 -0500, Sunny
<sunnyask@icebergwireless.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>if you are marshaling objects between different appdomains in the same
>process, you do not need network. The framework will remote all your
>objects transparently for you using build-in memory channels.
>
>If you need to remote between 2 processes, you have 2 options:
>1. using build-in channels (http or tcp). You do not need a network
>card, but you have to install a virtual loopback device.
>2. use third party solution, which has memory channels. I have seen some
>posts for MSMQ channels, and also, I have used www.genuinechannels.com.
>They have shared memory channels implemented.
>
>Hope that helps
>
>Sunny
>

>In article <8p5uc0tsr5rv5jqs9l9hu8dikj6361dldc@4ax.com>, jaha@tmbg.org
>says...
>> Hi,
>> For various reasons, I am interested in using remoting between two
>> application domains within the same process. But I do not want to
>> require that the user has a network card(which I believe would be
>> necessary for TcpChannel or HttpChannel?). Am I missing something or
>> do I need to look for some custom Channel? Or...
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,
>> Robert Conde

Sunny

take a look at AppDomain.CreateInstance and CreateInstanceAndUnwrap
methods.

The remoting is done for you behind the scenes 9channels, etc.), but all
things like lifetime, MBR, [Serializable], etc. are in force, and your
objects have to take care of it.

Sunny

In article <9liuc0pif1h8te6a0mcf976ltl1lud7fj7@4ax.com>, jaha@tmbg.org
says...
> But how do I reference things...i.e. what replaces registerChannel()
> and activator.GetObject("tpc:// ....
>
> Or am I just misunderstanding something fundamental here?
>
> Do you know of any examples using the built-in memory channels?
>
> Rob
>
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:04:14 -0500, Sunny
> <sunnyask@icebergwireless.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >if you are marshaling objects between different appdomains in the same
> >process, you do not need network. The framework will remote all your
> >objects transparently for you using build-in memory channels.
> >
> >If you need to remote between 2 processes, you have 2 options:
> >1. using build-in channels (http or tcp). You do not need a network
> >card, but you have to install a virtual loopback device.
> >2. use third party solution, which has memory channels. I have seen some
> >posts for MSMQ channels, and also, I have used www.genuinechannels.com.
> >They have shared memory channels implemented.
> >
> >Hope that helps
> >
> >Sunny
> >

> >In article <8p5uc0tsr5rv5jqs9l9hu8dikj6361dldc@4ax.com>, jaha@tmbg.org
> >says...
> >> Hi,
> >> For various reasons, I am interested in using remoting between two
> >> application domains within the same process. But I do not want to
> >> require that the user has a network card(which I believe would be
> >> necessary for TcpChannel or HttpChannel?). Am I missing something or
> >> do I need to look for some custom Channel? Or...
> >>
> >> Thanks in Advance,
> >> Robert Conde

Matt Elder

On Jun 8, 9:20 pm, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:

> Also doesn't WCS have 3 buttons.

Yep. An extra one for the Magnasave.

Another one with 3 is Freddy. The extra being for the claw save.

Matt

Tom G

On Jun 8, 9:32 pm, Paul Drabik <pdra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 9:20 pm, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 8, 6:54 pm, powesmith <powesm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I know there are some with three such as BK2K, Shadow. Are there any
> > > pins with four?
>
> > Defender has four,  2 for the flippers, one for the outlane kicker and
> > the last one for the smart bombs to kill all the drop targets..
>
> > I believe all 4 of the WIlliams double level Pf games have 4 (BK, JL,
> > SF and Pharaoh)
>
> > Joust has 4 flipper buttons that control 4 seperate flippers.
>
> > Also doesn't WCS have 3 buttons.
>
> Doesn't Starship Troopers have a separate button for the little red
> one?

Yes it does. 3 total buttons.

Shellrippr

On Jun 8, 7:34 pm, Matt Elder <el...@machlink.com> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 9:20 pm, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > Also doesn't WCS have 3 buttons.
>
> Yep. An extra one for the Magnasave.
>
> Another one with 3 is Freddy. The extra being for the claw save.
>
> Matt

What about all P2K games? :-)