Where is the Trace.WriteLine going in remote objects hosted in IIS?

Joe

6/13/2004 6:31:00 AM

We have a system making heavy use of remoting, and up til now have been
running it in a windows server with a TCP channel. We decided to host in
IIS, and it is now working very well.

Only problem (and kind of a big one if you ask me) is that we are unable to
see any of our Trace.WriteLine() calls while the objects are running.

Hosted inside a windows service with TCP, we get everything. Hosted in IIS,
nothing.

I have tried using both sysinternals' DebugView as well as TraceView to view
the output.

Is there something I have to configure in the web.config file maybe?

Thanks much in advance,

Joe

4 Answers

David Browne

"Joe" <spammersshouldbebeaten@iainttellin.com> wrote in message
> We have a system making heavy use of remoting, and up til now have been
> running it in a windows server with a TCP channel. We decided to host in
> IIS, and it is now working very well.
>
> Only problem (and kind of a big one if you ask me) is that we are unable
> see any of our Trace.WriteLine() calls while the objects are running.
>
> Hosted inside a windows service with TCP, we get everything. Hosted in
IIS,
> nothing.
>
> I have tried using both sysinternals'' DebugView as well as TraceView to
view
> the output.
>
> Is there something I have to configure in the web.config file maybe?

Did you attach a trace listener?

using System.Diagnostics;
using System.IO;
Trace.Listeners.Add(New TextWriterTraceListener(new
StreamWriter(Server.MapPath("logs\log.txt"))));

David

Joe

"David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted meat@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:egcsoaVUEHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> "Joe" <spammersshouldbebeaten@iainttellin.com> wrote in message
> > We have a system making heavy use of remoting, and up til now have been
> > running it in a windows server with a TCP channel. We decided to host
in
> > IIS, and it is now working very well.
> >
> > Only problem (and kind of a big one if you ask me) is that we are unable
> > see any of our Trace.WriteLine() calls while the objects are running.
> >
> > Hosted inside a windows service with TCP, we get everything. Hosted in
> IIS,
> > nothing.
> >
> > I have tried using both sysinternals'' DebugView as well as TraceView to
> view
> > the output.
> >
> > Is there something I have to configure in the web.config file maybe?
> >

> Did you attach a trace listener?
>
> using System.Diagnostics;
> using System.IO;
> Trace.Listeners.Add(New TextWriterTraceListener(new
> StreamWriter(Server.MapPath("logs\log.txt"))));

Well, no I haven''t. When we ran inside a windows service, the trace output
would go to any registered debugger we had running (DebugView, TraceView,
etc). What I was hoping for was the same functionality when hosted in IIS.

It was really convenient to be able to watch the server running "live" in
one of the many viewers that are out there.

But thank you, I will try that and see if we do indeed at least get output
into a file.

Joe

Sunny

try to attach the debuger to the running aspnet_wp.exe process.

Sunny

In article <090194f9f6258974932650cc84d1bd3a@news.teranews.com>,
spammersshouldbebeaten@iainttellin.com says...

> "David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted meat@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:egcsoaVUEHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Joe" <spammersshouldbebeaten@iainttellin.com> wrote in message
> > > We have a system making heavy use of remoting, and up til now have been
> > > running it in a windows server with a TCP channel. We decided to host
> in
> > > IIS, and it is now working very well.
> > >
> > > Only problem (and kind of a big one if you ask me) is that we are unable
> > > see any of our Trace.WriteLine() calls while the objects are running.
> > >
> > > Hosted inside a windows service with TCP, we get everything. Hosted in
> > IIS,
> > > nothing.
> > >
> > > I have tried using both sysinternals'' DebugView as well as TraceView to
> > view
> > > the output.
> > >
> > > Is there something I have to configure in the web.config file maybe?
> > >

> > Did you attach a trace listener?
> >
> > using System.Diagnostics;
> > using System.IO;
> > Trace.Listeners.Add(New TextWriterTraceListener(new
> > StreamWriter(Server.MapPath("logs\log.txt"))));
>
> Well, no I haven''t. When we ran inside a windows service, the trace output
> would go to any registered debugger we had running (DebugView, TraceView,
> etc). What I was hoping for was the same functionality when hosted in IIS.
>
> It was really convenient to be able to watch the server running "live" in
> one of the many viewers that are out there.
>
> But thank you, I will try that and see if we do indeed at least get output
> into a file.
>
> Joe

Joe

"David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted meat@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:egcsoaVUEHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> "Joe" <spammersshouldbebeaten@iainttellin.com> wrote in message
> > We have a system making heavy use of remoting, and up til now have been
> > running it in a windows server with a TCP channel. We decided to host
in
> > IIS, and it is now working very well.
> >
> > Only problem (and kind of a big one if you ask me) is that we are unable
> > see any of our Trace.WriteLine() calls while the objects are running.
> >
> > Hosted inside a windows service with TCP, we get everything. Hosted in
> IIS,
> > nothing.
> >
> > I have tried using both sysinternals'' DebugView as well as TraceView to
> view
> > the output.
> >
> > Is there something I have to configure in the web.config file maybe?
> >

> Did you attach a trace listener?
>
> using System.Diagnostics;
> using System.IO;
> Trace.Listeners.Add(New TextWriterTraceListener(new
> StreamWriter(Server.MapPath("logs\log.txt"))));

Also, is there a way you know of to get and//or add the "default listener"
that does the OutputDebugString calls when hosted in IIS?

Thank you so much,

Joe