Is remoting right for my application?

Robert Conde

6/10/2004 7:59:00 PM

Hi all,
I have an idea to use Remoting in my application but it does
not seem to follow any of the examples I've seen so I'm not sure it's
appropriate. I am re-writing my current architecture which works as
follows:

1) Server is started
2)Client is started with ip of server as argument
3)The client establishes a tcp connection with the server
4)The server sends commands to the client in the form of
messages(Similar but much more complex than windows messages...i.e.
msg ID, data etc).
5) The client decodes these messages and takes appropriate action

The scheme is stable but has a couple of disadvantages:
1) All sent data must be formatted to fit the message structure
2) Extracting the information and taking the appropriate action is
bulky and cumbersome

So ideally, what I'd like, is instead of using this message system, is
to directly call client methods from the server(and possibly server
methods from the client) just as if they existed in the same process
on the same machine and had references to each other.

Does remoting seem appropriate for this? It's kind of different from
other examples I've seen in that both objects exist apriori...they
just need to exchange references to each other. Most of what I've seen
actually involved creating objects on the other machine.

If it is appropriate...can someone outline a VERY high level
architecture for how I'd accomplish this with the remoting framework?

Thanks In Advance
Robert Conde
3 Answers

Robert Conde

I should add that this should work over the internet.

Thanks in Advance,
Robert Conde

Sunny

Hi Robert,

remoting is good for this kind of applications. It will work well over
TCP. The problem will be if your clients are behind a firewalls and
proxies.

You may take a look at www.genuinechannels.com for a solution. Their
HTTP channels work very well in a proxy/firewall scenario.

Sunny

P.S. About examples, I will highly recommend Ingo Rammer''s "Advanced
remoting". You will find there almost everything explained very well.

In article <2ifhc09d2s7267emaftfktokib1fmqeejp@4ax.com>, jaha@tmbg.org
says...
> I should add that this should work over the internet.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Robert Conde

Robert Conde

Hmm...thats the book i have!!! But Admittedly I haven''t read the
detail chapters. I think what I want to do is use published objects.

Thanks
Rob