Retrieving Status By Remoting

ianLOSEatTHEaltispartnersCAPS.com

6/10/2004 11:23:00 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to build a monitoring system into a Win32 service I've
written by having the service offer a remotable class "monitor" to the
outside world. This class has a static string status, which is set to
whatever the status of the service is as that time (there is only ever
one service object instantiated to the best of my knowledge) and a
public static function getStatus() which returns the string. So upon a
remote instantiation of monitor as a singleton object I expect its
getStatus() method to call server.getStatus() and return me the status
string of the service. However what actually happens is it always
returns an empty string, despite the server.exe producing output asuring
me that the variable has been set.

Does anyone experience of achieving what I am attempting? Remoting
a dynamic variable from an object that is already executing and is doing
work.

Ian.

1 Answer

Sunny

you do not need static variables and methods.

As your oobject is singleton, there is only one instance to which all
clients are connected. So, any field of that class is one and the same
for all clients.

Just remove the static declaration, it should work.

Sunny

In article <uyhhSwtTEHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
ianLOSEatTHEaltispartnersCAPS.com says...