UDP communication with Windows server 2003

Astrefix

6/10/2004 5:35:00 AM

Hi

I have created a UDP server (in form of a windows Service) and client application on a Windows XP machine.
When running both on the same machine I use IPAddress.Loopback to obtain enpoint for the transmit port and receive port. The Ip address in the send function listed below is also used as the IPAddress.Loopback property
This all works fine
I can do exactly the same process on a machine running Windows 2003 server and all still works fine

I then move the Server which is a service to the machine running Windows server and run the client on the Win XP machine
I change the "ip address" in the function as listed below to the target machine
for client app running on Win XP machine it is the WIn 2000 Server machine IP and
for server app running on Win 2003 it is the win XP machine IP address

IPEndPoint endpoint = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse("ip address", port);
m_socket.SendTo(buffer, 0, 32767, SocketFlags.None, endpoint);

The problem is that there are no packets being received on the machine runnig win 2003 server. I use netmonitor to view and confirm the activity using IP address pair for filtering

The QUESTION
Is there a reason a windows machine won't allow UDP messages over sockets?
There is no IFC configuration selected so I assume all the ports are open

When running the client app on the server the attempted send is marked in Netmonitor with "host unreachable" although machines can ping and is visible under windows explorer

I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this issue

Thanks
Hendrik