Teis Draiby

10/14/2004 1:34:00 AM

I am developing a GDI+ painting program to paint bitmaps for height mapping
in a 3D application. When using a greyscale to define the heights I will
only get 256 different levels with the 8bit per color channel normally
provided. Can I switch to 16 bit per color channel, or even better; switch
to some greyscale 16 bit mode.

curiously waiting for answer,
teis

3 Answers

Steve McLellan

Short answer: greyscale (and 16-bit) is just plain broken. GDI+ won''t even
open a created 16-bit grey image, it''ll open 8-bit grey images as Indexed
colour (so the pixel values aren''t quite right) and 16-bit RGB images only
seem to use 13 bits for each channel. I don''t know of workarounds - we''re
currently looking at using a different imaging framework for the portions of
our application that need accurate and direct access to pixel values in
different formats and bit depths.

You might get some joy creating a bitmap with the 48bpp PixelFormat - that
will at least give you more precision than the 8 bits you''re getting at the
moment.

Steve

"Teis Draiby" <teisREMOVE-THIS@draiby.com> wrote in message
> I am developing a GDI+ painting program to paint bitmaps for height
mapping
> in a 3D application. When using a greyscale to define the heights I will
> only get 256 different levels with the 8bit per color channel normally
> provided. Can I switch to 16 bit per color channel, or even better; switch
> to some greyscale 16 bit mode.
>
> curiously waiting for answer,
> teis

Teis Draiby

Thank you for clearifying.
I''ve read about your struggels regarding 16 bit images in other threads when
researching on this topic. Can we expect 16 bpp support in the .NET
Framework 2.0??

Meanwhile I''ll have a look at DirectDraw or Direct3D to accomplish this.

regards, teis

"Steve McLellan" <sjm.NOSPAM AT fixerlabs DOT com> wrote in message
> Short answer: greyscale (and 16-bit) is just plain broken. GDI+ won''t even
> open a created 16-bit grey image, it''ll open 8-bit grey images as Indexed
> colour (so the pixel values aren''t quite right) and 16-bit RGB images only
> seem to use 13 bits for each channel. I don''t know of workarounds - we''re
> currently looking at using a different imaging framework for the portions
of
> our application that need accurate and direct access to pixel values in
> different formats and bit depths.
>
> You might get some joy creating a bitmap with the 48bpp PixelFormat - that
> will at least give you more precision than the 8 bits you''re getting at
the
> moment.
>
> Steve
>
> "Teis Draiby" <teisREMOVE-THIS@draiby.com> wrote in message
> > I am developing a GDI+ painting program to paint bitmaps for height
> mapping
> > in a 3D application. When using a greyscale to define the heights I will
> > only get 256 different levels with the 8bit per color channel normally
> > provided. Can I switch to 16 bit per color channel, or even better;
switch
> > to some greyscale 16 bit mode.
> >
> > curiously waiting for answer,
> > teis

Steve McLellan

Struggles is about right. I doubt they''ll add support - GDI+ seems very
firmly aimed at displaying stuff on screen, and for that you only need 24 /
32 bpp RGB. I haven''t had a look at the F/W 2.0 beta, and I don''t know
anything for certain - maybe someone else has a more definite answer.