microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing

Draw ontop of DirectX (fullscreen) applications

michael

I would like to make an application which can draw a small rectangle
and some text inside the rectangle, on top of all applications.

I could easily do this by using a Windows.Forms.Form and then set it
to show OnTop.
But the problem is that many fullscreen games (not Counter-strike
though) doesn't care about that. They always draw everything ontop of
my "OnTop" form :)
For instance all Blizzard games does this.

Is there a way to catch a "directx redraw" event, so I would know when
the game refreshed the screen, and then draw some simple graphics
ontop of that?

Thanks in advance
1 Answer

Justin Rogers

In a decent game, they are going to be backing up render buffers
so that the video card is never NOT rendering. You get better control
from within the game in terms of grabbing a surface DC after the render
happens or better yet rendering a quad with your GDI/GDI+ output.

In short order this would not be an easy task if possible at all. Video card
management of the video buffer is fully asynchronous where possible and
definitely not easy to plug into from an external standpoint.

--
Justin Rogers
DigiTec Web Consultants, LLC.