Retrieving table names in database via ODBC in C#

simon.coates@tribune.co.uk

I need to be able to query an ODBC database and return a list of the
tables contained within it, via ODBC. I gather from other posts in this
group that it is not currently possible to do this via ODBC in the
current .NET framework. Does anyone know if this is likely to change in
..NET 2?

Kind regards

Simon Coates

2 Answers

Paul Clement

On 15 Apr 2005 05:43:31 -0700, "simon.coates@tribune.co.uk" <simon.coates@tribune.co.uk> wrote:

&#164; Hi,
&#164;
&#164; I need to be able to query an ODBC database and return a list of the
&#164; tables contained within it, via ODBC. I gather from other posts in this
&#164; group that it is not currently possible to do this via ODBC in the
&#164; current .NET framework. Does anyone know if this is likely to change in
&#164; .NET 2?

I will have to check to see if they have updated the ODBC provider. AFAIK this feature is currently
only supported under OLEDB.

The alternative is to use a stored proc or SQL statement that is specific to the type of database
you are working with.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Cindy Winegarden

Hi Simon,

ODBC is a deprecated technology so you''re not likely to see any ODBC-related
improvements in .NET 2.0.

--
Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual Foxpro MVP
cindy_winegarden@msn.com www.cindywinegarden.com