microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

MS Access report in ASP.NET...needs Refresh??

Robin Prosch via .NET 247

6/6/2005 7:32:00 PM

Here's a weird one:

I have an ASP.NET application (written in VB.NET), that uses a report created with MS Access. The client had some very nice, well-designed reports they built with Access, but they wanted the whole app to run on the web. So I spent weeks figuring out how to get an properly formatted Access report onto a web page; I found some bits and pieces here and there on various web sites and a few genius programmers pointed out some ways this could be done--quite a hack, and not at al clearly documented anywhere by Microsoft, that I'm aware of...but I got it to work. It requires the Microsoft Office XP Interop calls (OXPPIA), ADODB, etc. (Yay! E-mail me if you want the source code I used.)

So now here's what I do: I create a new query for a given customer, replace the report's recordsource with the new querydef, then have Access generate the report and export it to XML.

Access itself creates the ASP page, XML file, XSD file, etc, when you call its built-in ExportXML function, so I don't have any control over the code actually in the ASP file it creates.

The problem: Almost every time someone runs this, they get the previously generated report data, until they hit Refresh on their browser. Anyone have any ideas how to "force" the page to be displayed accurately every time without the user doing anything?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

--------------------------------
From: Brian Battles WS1O

Rocky Hill, CT USA

BrianB@BattlesZone.com
www.BrianBattles.com

-----------------------
Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotn...)

<Id>+3YMfoLcnES/5zAS5ixhtA==</Id>
2 Answers

help bot

On Dec 2, 12:38 am, Sanny <softta...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 11:20 am, help bot <nomorech...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny <softta...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > PlayChessat:http://www.GetClub.com/...
>
> > > Now it will think much deeper. And only the Beginner Level will play a
> > > simple game. Higher Level will play much stronger.
>
> > As far as I can see, whatever level I'm playing now
> > is unbeatable (and undrawable, and unloseable); I
> > still have just a King, versus a King and Knight, and
> > the program still refuses to move, out of sheer
> > stubbornness. I have the King cut off, and the Knight
> > is on the run; it's only a matter of time before I get to
> > one or the other; you can run, but you can't hide.
>
> You only have a King, Then you have to press the Resign Button as
> there is no way out.

LOL!

Sanny, the rules of chess dictate that the instant
the position got to K vs. K & N, the game was a
draw by insufficient mating material. I have no beef
with quirks like King capture in place of checkmate,
but this is something your programmers need to fix,
in order to even approximate legal chess.

Once again, the "resigns" button is not an option,
because it is not my turn to move and thus, that
button is not even on the screen.

Your program inexplicably goes brain-dead at
times, and I think it may have something to do
with potential repetitions of position, nearness to
checkmate or stalemate-- something along those
lines.

Besides, I still think I can win... . ;>D

-- help bot

Sanny

On Dec 2, 11:22 am, help bot <nomorech...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 12:38 am, Sanny <softta...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > As far as I can see, whatever level I'm playing now
> > > is unbeatable (and undrawable, and unloseable); I
> > > still have just a King, versus a King and Knight, and
> > > the program still refuses to move, out of sheer
> > > stubbornness. I have the King cut off, and the Knight
> > > is on the run; it's only a matter of time before I get to
> > > one or the other; you can run, but you can't hide.
>
> > You only have a King, Then you have to press the Resign Button as
> > there is no way out.
>
> LOL!
>
> Sanny, the rules ofchessdictate that the instant
> the position got to K vs. K & N, the game was a
> draw by insufficient mating material. I have no beef
> with quirks like King capture in place of checkmate,
> but this is something your programmers need to fix,
> in order to even approximate legalchess.
>
> Once again, the "resigns" button is not an option,
> because it is not my turn to move and thus, that
> button is not even on the screen.
>
> Your program inexplicably goes brain-dead at
> times, and I think it may have something to do
> with potential repetitions of position, nearness to
> checkmate or stalemate-- something along those
> lines.
>
> Besides, I still think I can win... . ;>D
>
> -- help bot- Hide quoted text -

It happens sometime that the program keeps thinking forever in such
case Just restart and the Program will make move in time.

Begiiner will take Less than 30 Seconds always.
Easy will take Less than 100 Seconds always.
Normal will take Less than 480 Seconds always.
Master will take Less than 1900 Seconds always.

If any level takes more time than Stated above it means the program
has crashed and its better to restart the game.

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess at: http://www.GetClub.com/...