microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

Duplicate session ID in multiple IE windows

Jim Tilson

5/11/2005 2:41:00 PM

I'm having a problem with multiple IE windows having the same Session ID.

I turned on tracing in my web.config file so I could see the session
information at the bottom of each page.

I open Internet Explorer and navigate to my ASP.net application.

I then type CTRL-N to bring up a new IE window. The Session ID for the new
window is the same as the Session ID for the previous window.

This is causing problems in my application, because if I alternate between
windows and do things that cause postbacks, I get errors about control
treeviews not being the same, or (worse), I end up writing data from one
record into another in the Session collection.

Is there a fix to this problem, or is there a way to force IE to get a new
Session ID for the second window?

Thank you,

Jim Tilson
--
Jim Tilson
MCP

Brock Allen

> I then type CTRL-N to bring up a new IE window. The Session ID for the
> new window is the same as the Session ID for the previous window.
>
> This is causing problems in my application, because if I alternate
> between windows and do things that cause postbacks, I get errors about
> control treeviews not being the same, or (worse), I end up writing
> data from one record into another in the Session collection.

Yes, when you do this IE shares the cookies form the previous window. If
you launch a new instance of IE (IOW, a new Win32 process) it doesn''t share
the cookies. You''ll have to design around this.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop....