Having problems updating to Device Update 4.0

Steven Balthazor

12/10/2004 4:43:00 PM

I have a SBS 2003 server on which I wish to install the Device Update 4.0. I
have downloaded the device update and when I run it I get an error that tells
me to remove device update 2.0 first. Lo and behold in my Add/Remove
Programs I have a device 2.0 entry. When I select the option to Remove
Device Update 2.0 I get an error:

Error 1720 There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A script
required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support
personnel or package vendor.

After doing some searching, I think I found the cause of my problem (KB:
Q814773)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-...
This basically says that .NET Framework updates break the Device Update 2.0.
I do have .Net Framework 1.1 SP 1 installed. The article basically
recommends re-installing the Device Update 2.0 and provides a link to
download it. Unfortunately it appears that Device Update 2.0 is not really
available anymore. The link is a dead-end and the .Net Mobility page
provides links to Device Update 3.0 and 4.0 but not 2.0.

So my question is how do I fix this to get the Device Update 4.0 installed.
The options I see are:
1. Find the Device Update 2.0 that may be hidden somewhere on the internet...
2. Tweak the registry to make it appear as if 2.0 is not installed and run
the 4.0 update....not really desirable
3. Uninstall the .Net Framework....not really sure I can do this without
reinstalling my server
4. Uninstall the SP1 of Framework 1.1 and hope that the device update
starts working...started to try this, but I got a warning that indicated just
about everything *might* stop working if I uninstalled SP1.
5. Find some way to force the 4.0 Update over the top of the 2.0 Device
Update
6. Is there some way to reinstall the .Net Framework 1.1 from scratch on a
Windows 2003 server?
7. Something else???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,