=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/29/2005 3:16:00 PM

Hello Guys,

I have an application, where 99% of the webforms
requires the user to enter some values in some textboxes
to get some data from the database. As you can guess the
data is based on the values of the textboxes. Now I would
like to cache the result returned from the database based
on the parameter. The only problem is that I dont know if
this should be done or not - because when I cache every
resultset based on the parameters, then I will end up with
a lot data in my cache.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 Answers

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

How about caching the dataset if it is not that large, then you can pull a
filter over the dataset based on the user selection to get data instead of
hitting the database.

--
Regards
Alvin Bruney

"VK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Guys,
>
> I have an application, where 99% of the webforms
> requires the user to enter some values in some textboxes
> to get some data from the database. As you can guess the
> data is based on the values of the textboxes. Now I would
> like to cache the result returned from the database based
> on the parameter. The only problem is that I dont know if
> this should be done or not - because when I cache every
> resultset based on the parameters, then I will end up with
> a lot data in my cache.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

guillaume StEtienne FR

IMO, caching will always be more efficient than querying the database
I may consume more memory, but it never consume as much CPU as a query
so it''s full benefits for you.