microsoft.public.axapta.programming

Sorting on columns in a WebGrid

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

10/31/2005 2:06:00 PM

I've started working on debugging an existing project in Axapta and have a
question regarding sorting in a webgrid.

The problem:
Sorting (asc/desc) only works on a few of the columns in the grid. Why is
that and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chris
4 Answers

SSCALET

You can''t filter, sort or do a find an a field in a grid if it is using a
display method. Only fields that have a field that exists in the datasource
will be sortable.

"Chris" wrote:

> I''ve started working on debugging an existing project in Axapta and have a
> question regarding sorting in a webgrid.
>
> The problem:
> Sorting (asc/desc) only works on a few of the columns in the grid. Why is
> that and is there a way to fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

Thanks for your response.

The grid only contains fields from the datasource, which contains three
joined tables. It seems that the columns affected by this contains fields
from the two tables using the third as joinsource. Could this be the problem?
And if so, is there a workaround for this?

Regards ,
Chris

"SSCALET" wrote:

> You can''t filter, sort or do a find an a field in a grid if it is using a
> display method. Only fields that have a field that exists in the datasource
> will be sortable.
>
> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > I''ve started working on debugging an existing project in Axapta and have a
> > question regarding sorting in a webgrid.
> >
> > The problem:
> > Sorting (asc/desc) only works on a few of the columns in the grid. Why is
> > that and is there a way to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chris

SSCALET

If it''s a field from any of the datasources, then it should be sortable.
Check the types of joins on the datasource for which the fields are not
sortable. Sometimes by changing how the tables are joined with have
different effects on the grid.

"Chris" wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> The grid only contains fields from the datasource, which contains three
> joined tables. It seems that the columns affected by this contains fields
> from the two tables using the third as joinsource. Could this be the problem?
> And if so, is there a workaround for this?
>

> Regards ,
> Chris
>
> "SSCALET" wrote:
>
> > You can''t filter, sort or do a find an a field in a grid if it is using a
> > display method. Only fields that have a field that exists in the datasource
> > will be sortable.
> >
> > "Chris" wrote:
> >
> > > I''ve started working on debugging an existing project in Axapta and have a
> > > question regarding sorting in a webgrid.
> > >
> > > The problem:
> > > Sorting (asc/desc) only works on a few of the columns in the grid. Why is
> > > that and is there a way to fix this?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Chris

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

Thanks again for your response.

The linktype property is set to Active. I tried changing the linktype with
the following results:

Passive/Delayed caused a repetition of the contents in the fields (of the
childtables) of the first row. The sorting seamed to work "better", the arrow
indicating asc/desc sorting changed from up to down, and didn''t stay pointing
down.

The different join types either left the fields empty or showed the correct
content, but rendered the sorting function disabled. Clicking the column
header for the field shows the error message "invalid sorting column" (I only
have the norwegian version, so the translation might be a bit off).

I''m still stuck with this small, but irritating problem, so any other
suggestions are still welcome.