microsoft.public.axapta.programming

Remove scroll funtionality from multiline StringEdit.

Simon Agerbo

10/28/2005 12:14:00 PM

Hi Everyone.

Hopefully some one can help me out.

My problem is that I want to make a multiline stringedit control, not
scrollable. I have a description field (string edit control) on a form
showing 4 lines, and the same field on a report containing 4 lines. As long
as you haven't reached the string length of the description field, it is
possible to add more than 4 lines in the stringedit control on the form,
using newline (return). A scrollbar will appear in the stringEdit control
when you enter text on line 5. However my string field on the report can only
show 4 lines, and there is no room on the report, to use "dynamic height". In
this case some of the text will not be visible on the report.

Is it possible to lock the string edit control on the form, so that it will
not start scrolling, when you enter more lines than displayheight has been
set to?

Regards

Simon Agerbo

2 Answers

mortenm

Hi Simon,

You could use:
- the validate method on the string control or the datasource
- the validateWrite method on the datasource or the table
- the validateField method on the table

In one of these methods you could check if there are more than 4 lines of
text. In that case you could give an error message and tell the user to not
enter more than 4 lines. If you want the user to get the error message when
he has entered the text you should use the validate method on the string
control or the datasource.

Best regards,
Morten Mile

"Simon Agerbo" wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> Hopefully some one can help me out.
>
> My problem is that I want to make a multiline stringedit control, not
> scrollable. I have a description field (string edit control) on a form
> showing 4 lines, and the same field on a report containing 4 lines. As long
> as you haven''t reached the string length of the description field, it is
> possible to add more than 4 lines in the stringedit control on the form,
> using newline (return). A scrollbar will appear in the stringEdit control
> when you enter text on line 5. However my string field on the report can only
> show 4 lines, and there is no room on the report, to use "dynamic height". In
> this case some of the text will not be visible on the report.
>
> Is it possible to lock the string edit control on the form, so that it will
> not start scrolling, when you enter more lines than displayheight has been
> set to?
>
> Regards
>
> Simon Agerbo

Simon Agerbo

Hi Morten

Great Help. Thanks :o)

I''m using the validate method on the string control, and
GetLineCount() to retrieve the number of lines enterred

Regards

Simon