microsoft.public.axapta.programming

Best approaches to learning x++?

joey walter

10/27/2005 7:13:00 PM

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I'd like to bring it up
again based on current situations.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good approaches to learning
X++ for someone like myself who has no training or experience with C++
or Java but massive experience with the various offshoots of Basic
programming - both top-down, old school single programs with thousands
of lines of code and event driven Basic programming with tiny snippets
of code all over the place ;-)

I don't think Microsoft has any online training available for x++
anymore - I know there was such a thing during the Damgaard/Navision
days.

Also, I'm a bit 'handicapped' in that I can't travel to attend
courseroom classes or even attend them locally if they where offered.

I'm pretty much housebound indefinitely, but still fully able to hack
code and support my clients via my 'home office'.

I need to get up to speed on X++.

Would studying Java or C++ be a good place to start or a waste of
time?

Any feedback on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

5 Answers

Samuel L Matzen

Joey,

Read the documentation, review the tutorials, review the code for the
built-in applications. Post your questions on this newsgroup.

It isn''t easy, but you can do it.

-Sam Matzen

"joey walter" <jwalter@ClientsFirst-us.com> wrote in message

> I''m sure this topic has come up before, but I''d like to bring it up
> again based on current situations.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for good approaches to learning
> X++ for someone like myself who has no training or experience with C++
> or Java but massive experience with the various offshoots of Basic
> programming - both top-down, old school single programs with thousands
> of lines of code and event driven Basic programming with tiny snippets
> of code all over the place ;-)
>
> I don''t think Microsoft has any online training available for x++
> anymore - I know there was such a thing during the Damgaard/Navision
> days.
>
> Also, I''m a bit ''handicapped'' in that I can''t travel to attend
> courseroom classes or even attend them locally if they where offered.
>
> I''m pretty much housebound indefinitely, but still fully able to hack
> code and support my clients via my ''home office''.
>
> I need to get up to speed on X++.
>
> Would studying Java or C++ be a good place to start or a waste of
> time?
>
> Any feedback on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Oakes

Microsft ddo x++ training

ive given 3 week long training courses now on X++.

Go to any MS training center and you should find plenty of Axapta training

if you want i can give you prices of our training courses

Mike

www.advancedsystemsintegration.com
--
Kind Regards

Michael Oakes

"joey walter" wrote:

> I''m sure this topic has come up before, but I''d like to bring it up
> again based on current situations.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for good approaches to learning
> X++ for someone like myself who has no training or experience with C++
> or Java but massive experience with the various offshoots of Basic
> programming - both top-down, old school single programs with thousands
> of lines of code and event driven Basic programming with tiny snippets
> of code all over the place ;-)
>
> I don''t think Microsoft has any online training available for x++
> anymore - I know there was such a thing during the Damgaard/Navision
> days.
>
> Also, I''m a bit ''handicapped'' in that I can''t travel to attend
> courseroom classes or even attend them locally if they where offered.
>
> I''m pretty much housebound indefinitely, but still fully able to hack
> code and support my clients via my ''home office''.
>
> I need to get up to speed on X++.
>
> Would studying Java or C++ be a good place to start or a waste of
> time?
>
> Any feedback on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Luegisdorf

Hi Joey

The best practice handbook (delivered as a *.chm file with the Axapta Setup
Source) is a good lecture. You should read it after first development course.

It shows how you should do things and how not to do.

Best regards
Patrick

"joey walter" wrote:

> I''m sure this topic has come up before, but I''d like to bring it up
> again based on current situations.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for good approaches to learning
> X++ for someone like myself who has no training or experience with C++
> or Java but massive experience with the various offshoots of Basic
> programming - both top-down, old school single programs with thousands
> of lines of code and event driven Basic programming with tiny snippets
> of code all over the place ;-)
>
> I don''t think Microsoft has any online training available for x++
> anymore - I know there was such a thing during the Damgaard/Navision
> days.
>
> Also, I''m a bit ''handicapped'' in that I can''t travel to attend
> courseroom classes or even attend them locally if they where offered.
>
> I''m pretty much housebound indefinitely, but still fully able to hack
> code and support my clients via my ''home office''.
>
> I need to get up to speed on X++.
>
> Would studying Java or C++ be a good place to start or a waste of
> time?
>
> Any feedback on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Steen Andreasen

Hi Joey,

I am writing an Axapta book, covering X++ and Morphx. You can download
the chapter Reports from the book at my website:
http://www.steenandreasen.com/axap...

Steen Andreasen

joey walter wrote:

>I''m sure this topic has come up before, but I''d like to bring it up
>again based on current situations.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations for good approaches to learning
>X++ for someone like myself who has no training or experience with C++
>or Java but massive experience with the various offshoots of Basic
>programming - both top-down, old school single programs with thousands
>of lines of code and event driven Basic programming with tiny snippets
>of code all over the place ;-)
>
>I don''t think Microsoft has any online training available for x++
>anymore - I know there was such a thing during the Damgaard/Navision
>days.
>
>Also, I''m a bit ''handicapped'' in that I can''t travel to attend
>courseroom classes or even attend them locally if they where offered.
>
>I''m pretty much housebound indefinitely, but still fully able to hack
>code and support my clients via my ''home office''.
>
>I need to get up to speed on X++.
>
>Would studying Java or C++ be a good place to start or a waste of
>time?
>
>Any feedback on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick Bovens

Get some training at any MS training centre (basically the training you need
to get certified as a programmer), analyze code in the app, join forums and
communities (like this one) and most important: read the developer best
practice handbook.

Furthermore: design and build! Concentrate on one subject at a time and do a
recap every once in a while. Keep a scrapbook of usefull stuff you find out
and allow yourself some time to update design and code you've done before (so
you're not stuck with a backlog of 'crappy' code)

--
Patrick Bovens