microsoft.public.axapta.programming

Looking for a bug/patch/hotfix listing

Abraham

10/17/2005 9:08:00 PM

Hi all,
We have axapta 3.0 patch 4. There are some bugs that I have found. I would
like to find a list of all known bugs and a list of all fixes for these bugs?
This would be a great help and solve lots of frustration.

Thanks for your help
Abraham
11 Answers

MikeR

Both pages are using the new connection, and one works, the other not.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MikeR wrote:

> Now the error is
>
> Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
> Could not use ''; file already in use.
> /nf4l/n4zr/asp/WSCD_Display_Admin.asp, line 19
>
> using
> Aconn.Open "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & "data source=" &
> DBPath

This error is _always_ due to inadequate filesystem permissions. All
users of a database file need to be able to create, modify and delete
the locking file (dbname.ldb) in the folder that contains the mdb file.
That means they need Modify permissions for the _folder_ containing the
database file. Failure to create the .ldb file prevents multi-user
activity.

The tricky part is identifying who the users are: if you are using
Anonymous, then the user is the IUSR_machinename account (or whatever
account you have configured your site to use). If not Anonymous, and you
are using integrated authentication, then it is the actual user's
account.
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MikeR wrote:
> Both pages are using the new connection, and one works, the other not.

Regardless of the order in which you open them?

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

MikeR

Bob Barrows wrote:
> MikeR wrote:
>> Now the error is
>>
>> Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
>> Could not use ''; file already in use.
>> /nf4l/n4zr/asp/WSCD_Display_Admin.asp, line 19
>>
>> using
>> Aconn.Open "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & "data source=" &
>> DBPath
>>

> This error is _always_ due to inadequate filesystem permissions. All
> users of a database file need to be able to create, modify and delete
> the locking file (dbname.ldb) in the folder that contains the mdb file.
> That means they need Modify permissions for the _folder_ containing the
> database file. Failure to create the .ldb file prevents multi-user
> activity.
I don't doubt your assertion. What throws me is that one page works, the other
doesn't. I don't understand how permissions could be different for each page.
I don't ever see the .ldb file either.

> The tricky part is identifying who the users are: if you are using
> Anonymous, then the user is the IUSR_machinename account (or whatever
> account you have configured your site to use). If not Anonymous, and you
> are using integrated authentication, then it is the actual user's
> account.
Following an article I found on MS site, I looked at the registry for ODBC, and set
the permissions there, and from Windows Explorer the permissions look OK, but I'm not
real sure what they should be.

MikeR

Bob Barrows wrote:
> MikeR wrote:
>> Both pages are using the new connection, and one works, the other not.
>
> Regardless of the order in which you open them?

Yep. And now a second page has quit working
Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E14)
Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'.
/nf4l/dir/asp/Display_Admin.asp, line 20

qry = "qry_login '" & Request.form("T1") & "', '" & Request.form("T2") & "'"

'qry equates to: qry_login 'userid', 'password'
'the actual query is: SELECT * FROM tbl2 WHERE UID=[ID] And pWord=[PW];

ClRS.Open qry, conn, 0, 4 <============= line 20

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MikeR wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote:
>> MikeR wrote:
>>> Now the error is
>>>
>>> Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
>>> Could not use ''; file already in use.
>>> /nf4l/n4zr/asp/WSCD_Display_Admin.asp, line 19
>>>
>>> using
>>> Aconn.Open "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" & "data source=" &
>>> DBPath
>>>

>> This error is _always_ due to inadequate filesystem permissions. All
>> users of a database file need to be able to create, modify and delete
>> the locking file (dbname.ldb) in the folder that contains the mdb
>> file. That means they need Modify permissions for the _folder_
>> containing the database file. Failure to create the .ldb file
>> prevents multi-user activity.
> I don't doubt your assertion. What throws me is that one page works,
> the other doesn't. I don't understand how permissions could be
> different for each page.
Hypothesis:
Are you running one page directly after the other? Don't forget that
with connection pooling, connections are not always closed when you
expect them to be. So the connection for the first page could still be
connected when the second page tries to connect.
Note: I am _not_ recommending that you attempt to disable connection
pooling to solve this problem. If that "solution" occurred to you while
reading my previous paragraph, get that idea out of your head.:-) The
solution for this problem is to fix the permissions, not to create new
problems with performance.

> I don't ever see the .ldb file either.

That means it's not being created. The first user in should create the
file. Subsequent users should modify it. The last user to disconnect
from the database should delete it. With no .ldb file, multiple users
will be prevented from connecting to the mdb.

>> The tricky part is identifying who the users are: if you are using
>> Anonymous, then the user is the IUSR_machinename account (or whatever
>> account you have configured your site to use). If not Anonymous, and
>> you are using integrated authentication, then it is the actual user's
>> account.

> Following an article I found on MS site, I looked at the registry for
> ODBC, and set the permissions there,

No, that sounds like an old bug, and should be irrelevant for the OLE DB
provider - this no longer uses ODBC

> and from Windows Explorer the
> permissions look OK, but I'm not real sure what they should be.

The relevant users should have Modify (Change or Read/Write - the
terminology depends on the OS type and version) permissions for the
folder. Windows Explorer is what you should be using to set these
permissions.

See this article:
http://tutorials.aspfaq.com/8000xxxxx-errors/80004005-e...

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

MikeR

Bob Barrows wrote:
> MikeR wrote:
>> Bob Barrows wrote:

>>> This error is _always_ due to inadequate filesystem permissions. All
>>> users of a database file need to be able to create, modify and delete
>>> the locking file (dbname.ldb) in the folder that contains the mdb
>>> file. That means they need Modify permissions for the _folder_
>>> containing the database file. Failure to create the .ldb file
>>> prevents multi-user activity.
>> I don't doubt your assertion. What throws me is that one page works,
>> the other doesn't. I don't understand how permissions could be
>> different for each page.
> Hypothesis:
> Are you running one page directly after the other? Don't forget that
> with connection pooling, connections are not always closed when you
> expect them to be. So the connection for the first page could still be
> connected when the second page tries to connect.

Running either page first, then a few minutes wait, then the other one. Consistently
one works, the other not.

> Note: I am _not_ recommending that you attempt to disable connection
> pooling to solve this problem. If that "solution" occurred to you while
> reading my previous paragraph, get that idea out of your head.:-) The
> solution for this problem is to fix the permissions, not to create new
> problems with performance.

Amen! But if it *is* a permission problem, why does one works and two don't?

>> I don't ever see the .ldb file either.
>
> That means it's not being created. The first user in should create the
> file. Subsequent users should modify it. The last user to disconnect
> from the database should delete it. With no .ldb file, multiple users
> will be prevented from connecting to the mdb.

Hmmmm.... So the page that works does so without creating it? Does it say anything
about permissions that when I open the .mdb in Access, the .ldb is created?

>>> The tricky part is identifying who the users are: if you are using
>>> Anonymous, then the user is the IUSR_machinename account (or whatever
>>> account you have configured your site to use). If not Anonymous, and
>>> you are using integrated authentication, then it is the actual user's
>>> account.
>
>> Following an article I found on MS site, I looked at the registry for
>> ODBC, and set the permissions there,
>
> No, that sounds like an old bug, and should be irrelevant for the OLE DB
> provider - this no longer uses ODBC

DOH!

>> and from Windows Explorer the
>> permissions look OK, but I'm not real sure what they should be.
>
> The relevant users should have Modify (Change or Read/Write - the
> terminology depends on the OS type and version) permissions for the
> folder. Windows Explorer is what you should be using to set these
> permissions.
They do.

> See this article:
> http://tutorials.aspfaq.com/8000xxxxx-errors/80004005-e...

Lotta stuff there. On a quick read, I don't see my exact situation, but I'll keep
looking.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MikeR wrote:
>>> I don't ever see the .ldb file either.
>>
>> That means it's not being created. The first user in should create
>> the file. Subsequent users should modify it. The last user to disconnect
>> from the database should delete it. With no .ldb file, multiple users
>> will be prevented from connecting to the mdb.
>
> Hmmmm.... So the page that works does so without creating it? Does it
> say anything about permissions that when I open the .mdb in Access,
> the .ldb is created?

Absolutely! it means that _you_ have the appropriate folder permissions, but
the user account under which IIS is running does not.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

MikeR

Bob Barrows wrote:

>>> That means it's not being created. The first user in should create
>>> the file. Subsequent users should modify it. The last user to disconnect
>>> from the database should delete it. With no .ldb file, multiple users
>>> will be prevented from connecting to the mdb.
>> Hmmmm.... So the page that works does so without creating it? Does it
>> say anything about permissions that when I open the .mdb in Access,
>> the .ldb is created?
>
> Absolutely! it means that _you_ have the appropriate folder permissions, but
> the user account under which IIS is running does not.

Bob -
Thanks so much for hanging in with me on this. The folder/file permissions looked OK,
but I reset them anyway from the IIS console, and I can now read from the DB.
IUSR_COMPUTERNAME has full control, Anonymous access is checked, IIS controls the
password is checked, and Integrated Windows Authentication is checked.

The .ldb still isn't being created, but I can ignore that on the local dev machine,
as only one user (me) will be banging on it.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MikeR wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote:

>>> Hmmmm.... So the page that works does so without creating it? Does
>>> it say anything about permissions that when I open the .mdb in Access,
>>> the .ldb is created?
>>
>> Absolutely! it means that _you_ have the appropriate folder
>> permissions, but the user account under which IIS is running does not.
>
> Bob -
> Thanks so much for hanging in with me on this. The folder/file
> permissions looked OK, but I reset them anyway from the IIS console,
> and I can now read from the DB.

Hmm ... I've never had to do that. I always set permissions via the dialog
in Windows Explorer. Strange.

> IUSR_COMPUTERNAME has full control,

That's overkill, but no matter.

> Anonymous access is checked,

which means that the IUSR account is used (as well as IWAM in some
situations - you should probably grant access to that one as well)

> IIS controls the password is checked,
> and Integrated Windows Authentication is checked.
> The .ldb still isn't being created, but I can ignore that on the
> local dev machine, as only one user (me) will be banging on it.

Are you hitting the db in global.asa? If so, the IWAM account is being used.
IWAM is also used if you have isolation set to high in IIS.