microsoft.public.axapta.programming

Explorer.exe crashes when I try to open one file only the entire tree crashes

Lou Angel

10/11/2005 2:22:00 PM

Error Message on Explorer.exe

When I try to only open one of my movie files
the entire explorer tree crashes

The error message is always that explorer encountered a problem and must
close.
When I click to find the problem I get the following message
Then when I click OK, the entire explorer tree crashes.

I go back to "my computer", click this file, and the same thing happens
Does anyone out there know how I can fix this problem ?
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\186c_appcompat.txt
ModName:xvid.dll
Location in C:\WINDOWS\system32
=======================================
If anyone knows how to fix this please email me at
lou@angelic.com

3 Answers

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Old Pedant wrote:
>> Also, I don't know SQL particularly, but your query looks a bit
>> suspect to me. It seems to be missing quote marks around the name of
>> the CVS file (assuming it is intended as a literal) and the use of
>> the DateValue and Date() functions in the middle of a literal query
>> string seems incorrect - shouldn't their results be concatenated
>> into the string?
>
> No, all those are correct. Remember, this is using the JET OLEDB
> driver, and it uses the Access dialect of SQL. In particular, that
> dialect is based on VBA and its functions. So indeed most functions
> you find in VBScript are also available in that dialect of SQL. Yes,
> most definitely including DATEVALUE( ) and DATE( ) [and LEFT() and
> MID() and many, many more.] SQL is not a highly standardized
> language, unfortunately. T-SQL, the dialect used by SQL Server, has
> no equivalent of DATEVALUE( ) or DATE( ), just as a "for instance".
> And in MySQL, the DATE( ) function is actually the equivalent of
> DATEVALUE( ) in Access SQL.

Pardon the pedantry :-)
but not all VBA functions are usable in JetSQL when it is executed by
external applications. The most obvious example I can think of right now
is the Nz() function, which needs to be replaced by IIF() when executed
via ADO. If you want a more complete list, search the MS Knowledge Base
for "Jet" and "sandbox".

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Old Pedant

Yes, I know. And, in fact, some functions that you would expect to be there
and really really wish were there, are not. And at least a few functions are
present in Access itself but not in the JET driver [don't remember which
offhand]. Go figure. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing at
MS. What's new?

Anyway, I didn't say that all VBA funcrtions are available. In fact I was
careful not to say that.

I quote myself:
> In particular, that dialect is *BASED ON* VBA and its functions.
> So indeed *MOST* functions you find in VBScript are also available in that dialect of SQL.

But, hey, it's only fair that you get to out-pedanticize me on this.
<grin/> And indeed, it's good to generally make all this crystal clear.

tstar31

Thanks for the quick reply and the code. I tweaked it to work as a vbscript
and it works perfectly. Thanks again