problem with RubyDotNet r3 evaluator .rbw

gabriele renzi

9/13/2003 11:52:00 PM

I just downloaded R.D.N. r3 and I've got a little problem.
If I try to run the evaluator scipt I get this error:

c:/programmi/ruby-1.8/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dotnet/bridge.rb:124:in
`inter
nalSendMessage': It is invalid to push a main message loop in this
context. This
may cause your application to not respond to Windows messages.
(DotNetException
)
from
c:/programmi/ruby-1.8/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dotnet/bridge.rb:
124:in `sendMessage'
from
c:/programmi/ruby-1.8/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dotnet/bridge.rb:
273:in `method_missing'
from evaluator.rbw:165:in `runNewOnForm'
from evaluator.rbw:248

I even get this error with this simple script:

>> require 'dotnet'
=> true
=> #<DotNetObject:0x27eb1a0 @dotNet=#<DotNet:0x27ec4a8>,
@objectRef=#<WrappedObjectRef:0x27eb518>>
>> Application.run(Form.new)

....same error...

I thought this should work :(
BTW, I'm not much into the .net development, so possibly I'm just
doing a wrong thing.

OTOH, running tests work fine, some tests are failing cause it seem I
don't have csc.exe in my path..

anyway this is really an impressive package!
Just two things:
- would you please add the online documentation to the archive? goin
online just to get some docs that could safely fit in the .zip file is
a PITA.

- would you add some more samples?

1 Answer

Mary Chipman [MSFT]

Not necessarily, you just have to understand what you're doing. See
Optimizing Microsoft Office Access Applications Linked to SQL Server
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb1.... It gives you
the lowdown on how to use Jet efficiently, which is basically the same
rule of thumb as for any client-server application -- fetch only
needed data; don't "link" to the whole megilla. Used correctly, Jet
gives you a lot of flexibility (basically you can use it to cache data
on the client machine, much the same way you'd use a DataSet, except
with a decent query engine and the ability to persist it, if desired).

Stephen Forte and I are co-presenting a session at TechEd this year,
DAT312, "Solve Problems without Spending Money: Access and SQL Server"
in which we'll cover using Access as a front-end to SQL Server data to
solve various business problems when there isn't a need (or there
aren't the resources) to develop a full-fledged .NET app. See
http://www.msteched.com/sessionlist/de... for details.

--Mary