Re: Ruby and NNTP attachments

Michael Campbell

9/13/2003 2:14:00 PM

I've seen less and less uuencoding over the years, but it's still around.
Something I see a lot of lately in the binary newsgroups is "yenc"
(http://ww...). As a counterpoint, check out
http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news..., but I don't think jeremy's doing
much more than tilting at windmills, frankly.

As for size, one accepted "standard" size I see is to break up your posts into
roughly 472500 to 315000 bytes per segment, "for best propagation".
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/mp3/newsg... , section 4.13) Your goal
may not BE propogation, so that argument may not be relevant.