Re: webrick and ruby

David Naseby

9/11/2003 11:33:00 PM

>From: Robert Feldt [mailto:feldt@ce.chalmers.se]>
>ruby + borges + madeleine
>
>could be a killer here! Samizdat might also be important
>although its hard to know until there are some example
>sites using it.

I think you might find ruby + borges + madeleine = memory hog. I don't
believe it would scale well at all. That being said, its great to play with
in toy applications, and another 2 gig of RAM shouldn't cost that much...

I've got a toy version of amrita + borges going - I really like the
combination, as the major advantages of borges (as I see them) are kept with
session and state management, but pages become a lot more flexible with
amrita generating them.

David

2 Answers

Robert Feldt

David Naseby <david.naseby@eonesolutions.com.au> skrev den Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:33:27 +0900:

> I think you might find ruby + borges + madeleine = memory hog. I don''t
> believe it would scale well at all. That being said, its great to play with
> in toy applications, and another 2 gig of RAM shouldn''t cost that much...
>
> I''ve got a toy version of amrita + borges going - I really like the
> combination, as the major advantages of borges (as I see them) are kept with
> session and state management, but pages become a lot more flexible with
> amrita generating them.

From your experience would you say Madeleine is the mem hog,
or Borges or Ruby or all of them combined?

I don''t see why in principle we shouldn''t be able to
do this in Ruby; Python has Zope and Plone and they
seem to be used quite a lot.

Regards,

Robert

Eric Hodel

Robert Feldt (feldt@ce.chalmers.se) wrote:

> David Naseby <david.naseby@eonesolutions.com.au> skrev den Fri, 12 Sep 2003
> 08:33:27 +0900:
>
> >I think you might find ruby + borges + madeleine = memory hog. I don''t
> >believe it would scale well at all. That being said, its great to play with
> >in toy applications, and another 2 gig of RAM shouldn''t cost that much...
> >
> >I''ve got a toy version of amrita + borges going - I really like the
> >combination, as the major advantages of borges (as I see them) are kept
> >with
> >session and state management, but pages become a lot more flexible with
> >amrita generating them.
> >
> From your experience would you say Madeleine is the mem hog,
> or Borges or Ruby or all of them combined?

Borges can be a memory hog because of the way it keeps track of state
and allows backtracking ... lots of Continuations. How much of a memory
hog depends upon how much state you save, etc.

> I don''t see why in principle we shouldn''t be able to
> do this in Ruby; Python has Zope and Plone and they
> seem to be used quite a lot.

Well, with the careful tuning you would be able to get Borges to run
without hogging a ton of memory, but it will still use more memory than
a CGI-based app framework.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
All messages signed with fingerprint: