Re: [ANN] DataVision 0.7.13 released

Michael Campbell

9/11/2003 8:32:00 PM

This might be a personal nit, but package authors out there, please
don't assume the readership at large knows what your package is or
what it does. A short explanation (1 line even!) helps so much.

Long have I read announcements to this and other lists to the effect
of: "XXX version #{n+1} released". Only _sometimes_ does the author
provide a list of what's changed and even more rarely what #{XXX}
even IS!

Jim's announcement here is a *perfect* example of what a good
announcement SHOULD look like. It explains very concisely:

- what the product is/does
- what the changes are from the last release
- where to get it

--- Jim Menard <jimm@io.com> wrote:
> DataVision 0.7.13 is now available from SourceForge at
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id....
>
> Datavision (http://datavis...) is an Open Source reporting
> tool ...

Thanks,

Michael

http://sitebuilder...

1 Answer

Simon Strandgaard

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 06:32:08 +0900, Michael Campbell wrote:

> This might be a personal nit, but package authors out there, please
> don''t assume the readership at large knows what your package is or
> what it does. A short explanation (1 line even!) helps so much.

Agree.. I skip announcements which doesn''t say what
the purpose of the package are.

> Long have I read announcements to this and other lists to the effect
> of: "XXX version #{n+1} released". Only _sometimes_ does the author
> provide a list of what''s changed and even more rarely what #{XXX}
> even IS!

Yes. Better announcements would be nice.. I will try to improve my
own announcents also :-)

> Jim''s announcement here is a *perfect* example of what a good
> announcement SHOULD look like. It explains very concisely:
>
> - what the product is/does
> - what the changes are from the last release
> - where to get it

Also of importance:

+ current status of the package (usable, mature, beta)

I have noticed *many* ruby packages which doesn''t even have a homepage!
The only information you can get about the package is its RAA-entry,
and a tarball only containing ruby files (no readme''s).
If you make a package.. then please also make a homepage which says what
the purpose is with the package, where to submit bugs.. etc.

--
Simon Strandgaard