Re: Ruby 1.8.0 .pkg/installer for OS X?

Ilán Terrell

9/11/2003 5:44:00 PM

Thanks digi!
On Tuesday, September 09, 2003, at 01:46PM, digibren <digibren@mac.com> wrote:

>Il?n Terrell <ilant@mac.com> wrote in message news:<53DD6088-1E1B-11B2-810F-000393B6182C@mac.com>...
>> Can someone tell me if there's a package for Ruby 1.8.0 installer for
>> Mac OS X?
>
>I made a Mac OS X/Darwin package for Ruby 1.8 this weekend. It's
>available as a .pkg inside a 5.9 MB disk image at:
>
>http://homepage.mac.com/digibren/FileSha...
>
>It installs to /supp and includes readline, gdbm, iconv, gettext and
>dl modules. It doesn't include support for tcl/tk but I'm planning to
>make a new package soon because there's a patch at rubygarden to make
>ruby compile with aqua tcl/tk.
>
>Please let me know if there is something wrong with the package
>installation as I haven't been able to test it outside of the machine
>I built it on. It was built with the Decemember Developer Tools on OS
>X 10.2 so it will only work for 10.2 or later.
>
>digibren

3 Answers

Miro

I beleive a datarecord has a version number

Perhaps you can somehow use that and compare that to your version numbers.

But maybe the easiest simplest answer would be something like a date time
stamp.
Store that in your db ( as a db date time stamp ) and in the origina db, as
a record "date time stamp"

You know the "Date" of when you "last pulled ALL the data from the
datafile".

So... it basically comes down to,
Select * form bla where datestamp > mydbdatestamp.

Any changed record it pulls.

?
-Just a thought

Miro

"SnapDive" <SnapDive@community.nospam> wrote in message

> But that requires me to read the entire row from the database. I was
> thinking of something that did more of a "pull". But I guess merge
> would work, I think....
>

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:58:01 +0100, "Pipo" <NoMail@pipo.pls> wrote:
>
>>When the Schema are the same...
>>
>>I would say
>>DataTable.Merge...(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datatable....)
>>
>>"SnapDive" <SnapDive@community.nospam> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a row like this
>>>
>>> ID ColA ColB
>>> 1 A B
>>> 2 C D
>>>
>>> I have an ADO.NET datatable (sources from another database somewhere,
>>> not ever connected to the database) row with this value
>>>
>>> ID ColA ColB
>>> 1 A C
>>> 2 C D
>>>
>>> What is the fastest way to "diff" the two sets of data so I know that
>>> row ID 1 should be imported? Is there some kind of CRC I should
>>> produce on the row to make a quick comparison?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

v-micsun

Hello SnapDive,

Welcome to Microsoft Newsgroup Support service. My name is Lingzhi Sun
[MSFT]. It is my pleasure to work with you on this case.

Also thanks to Pipo and Miro for your enlightening ideas.

The best method to compare a data row in database with an ADO.NET DataTable
row should be determined by many factors, such as the complicacy of data
structure of the DataTable, the application performance, and so on. Here
I'd like to analyze some methods which are targeted to different
situations.

======================================
&1. Comparing each DataTable row with database data row directly via SQL
command.

Situation in point:
The data row number in the database is very large, while the data row
number in the DataTable is much smaller.

Method Description & Analysis:
In this condition, we first get corresponding data row in the database
through the primary key (SELECT SQL command). Then we can compare each
column value to see whether there is any difference. If the value is
different, the corresponding data in the DataTable row can be updated
immediately. Through this method, we don't need to copy all the data in
the database to a local DataTable due to performance concern. We only need
to query the necessary data row from the database.

======================================
DataTables.

Situation in point:
The data row numbers in both the database and the DataTable are very large
and in similar size.

Method Description & Analysis:
In this situation, we first load the entire data table in the database to a
local DataTable and then use DataTable.Merge to update the target
DataTable. Although loading the entire database table to local memory has
some performance cost, the comparison becomes an in-process operation once
all the data is loaded. The entire comparison process will become faster
than querying and comparing each row of data between the database and the
local DataTable (cross-process operation).

======================================
&3. Using a time stamp to differentiate the newly updated rows in the
database.

Situation in point:
The data structure of the database can be modified to add a column which
type is timestamp.

Method Description & Analysis:
We can first add a timestamp column to the database table. When
synchronizing the data, we only need to query the data rows which
timestamps are greater than the time of last synchronization. This method
is much more efficiency than the first two methods, because we don't need
to load the entire data table from the database and meanwhile the
comparison operation can be ignored. The weakness is, if the data
structure cannot be modified due to other limitations, this method cannot
be achieved.
======================================

In addition, if your final target is to synchronize the two database and
you are using tow SQL Server, you can use the replication feature of SQL
Server to merge the two database. For detail, please see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(SQL.90).aspx. For the
replication feature supported by the editions of SQL Server 2005, please
see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(SQL.90).aspx.

If you have any other questions, please be free to let me know. Have a
great day!

Regards,
Lingzhi Sun (v-micsun@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa9...

v-micsun

Hello SnapDive,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind
letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further
assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of
assistance.