Re: Memory consumption of Ruby/mod_ruby combo on Apache

David Heinemeier Hansson

9/9/2003 2:51:00 PM

> Also, what other modules are you loading? Are there some that you can
> remove?

That's what I'm trying to do now. I moved the <IfModule mod_ruby.c>
into the only vhost that uses Ruby, but then it slams me with:

mod_ruby: error in ruby
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:70:in `load':
(SecurityError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:70:in
`handler'

Another thing. Is Apache smart about which processes that deals with
which vhosts? Like, if I specify that mod_ruby is only to run within a
certain vhost will some of the Apache processes be assigned to deal
with that vhost (and hence load the interpreter) while others "go free"?

/ David

1 Answer

Tom Copeland

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 10:50, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
> > Also, what other modules are you loading? Are there some that you can
> > remove?
>
> That''s what I''m trying to do now. I moved the <IfModule mod_ruby.c>
> into the only vhost that uses Ruby, but then it slams me with:
>
> mod_ruby: error in ruby
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:70:in `load'':
> (SecurityError)
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:70:in
> `handler''
>
> Another thing. Is Apache smart about which processes that deals with
> which vhosts? Like, if I specify that mod_ruby is only to run within a
> certain vhost will some of the Apache processes be assigned to deal
> with that vhost (and hence load the interpreter) while others "go free"?

I don''t think so - I think all the modules are loaded when Apache is
started, and each child process will have everything in the parent
process. In fact, when I put a LoadModule directive inside a
VirtualHost section, apachectl configtest reported an error.

Yours,

Tom