Re: tcltklib not built with Ruby 1.8

Jim Weirich

9/9/2003 2:23:00 AM

As I wrote earlier, I have solved the problem by forcing CPPFLAGS to
include the tcl8.3 directory, but I want to respond to the following
suggestions ...

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 21:15, nobu.nokada@softhome.net wrote:

> > Looking at extconf.rb in ext/tcltklib, it seems that "ruby extconf.rb"
> > should pick up the include file in my system (but it doesn't). I can debug
> > this a bit when I get home tonight.
>
> Can you show us the last part of mkmf.log?

Here it is ...

==BEGIN====================================================================
have_header: checking for tcl.h... --------------------
gcc -E -I/home/jim/pkgs/ruby-1.8.0.x -I/home/jim/pkgs/ruby-1.8.0.x -g
-O2 -o conftest.i conftest.c
conftest.c:1:17: tcl.h: No such file or directory
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <tcl.h>
/* end */

-------------------- no
==END======================================================================

Hidetoshi NAGAI <nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp>, writes:
> How about the following?
>
> $ cd ext/tcltklib
> $ CONFIGURE_ARGS='--with-tcl-include=/usr/local/include/tcl8.3/
> --with-tcllib=tcl8.3 --with-tklib=tk8.3 --enable-tcltk_stubs' ruby
> extconf.rb

If I remove the "local" directory from the above, then it does work. So
why doesn't it pick it up automatically?

--
-- Jim Weirich jweirich@one.net http://onest...

Hidetoshi NAGAI

nobu.nokada

At Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:23:24 +0900,
Jim Weirich wrote:
> As I wrote earlier, I have solved the problem by forcing CPPFLAGS to
> include the tcl8.3 directory, but I want to respond to the following
> suggestions ...

It should be done by --with-tcl-include option. And
ext/extmk.rb looks CONFIGURE_ARGS environment variable.

At least, with moving tcl*.h to /usr/include/tcl8.3 and
lib/mkmf.rb in 1.8.0, it worked for me.

> > > Looking at extconf.rb in ext/tcltklib, it seems that "ruby extconf.rb"
> > > should pick up the include file in my system (but it doesn''t). I can debug
> > > this a bit when I get home tonight.
> >
> > Can you show us the last part of mkmf.log?
>
> Here it is ...
>
> ==BEGIN====================================================================
> have_header: checking for tcl.h... --------------------
> gcc -E -I/home/jim/pkgs/ruby-1.8.0.x -I/home/jim/pkgs/ruby-1.8.0.x -g
> -O2 -o conftest.i conftest.c

-I option isn''t passed. Try

$ env CONFIGURE_ARGS=-I/usr/include/tcl8.3 make

in the top compile directory.

--
Nobu Nakada

nobu.nokada

At Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:42:19 +0900,
nobu.nokada@softhome.net wrote:
> -I option isn''t passed. Try
>
> $ env CONFIGURE_ARGS=-I/usr/include/tcl8.3 make

Sorry, it must be --with-tcl-include option. Follow
[ruby-talk:81447] instead.

--
Nobu Nakada

Hidetoshi NAGAI