Re: Ruby 1.8.0 .pkg/installer for OS X?

Brian McCallister

9/8/2003 2:57:00 PM

Is there a reason you don't want to use fink or darwin-ports? Both of
these provide dependency resolution (ie, readline library).

I am pretty sure ruby 1.8 is in the unstable branch for fink at the
moment.

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 10:21 AM, David Heinemeier Hansson
wrote:

>> As for a .pkg...there is a RubyForge project to build an installer
>> for OS X ( http://rubyforge.org/projects... ). The project
>> maintainer has not released a .pkg file yet...I will contact him and
>> ask status.
>
> I am that maintainer. The status is that I wanted to release a
> version, which would properly install the readlines module as well.
> That turned out to be slightly more complicated than I envisioned,
> though. So it didn't move much further than that.
>
> I quick probably do a quick release of "just" a compiled Ruby 1.8.0.
> That's better than nothing at all ;).
>
> On a longer term, the idea was to put together a series of
> pre-compiled packages. Like one for web-development that would install
> and setup mod_ruby with Apache, include the MySQL extension, and more.
>
> I'm all ears for additional ideas.
> --
> David Heinemeier Hansson,
> http://www.loudthi... -- Thoughts for free
> http://www.next... -- Thoughts for hire

1 Answer

Thomas Yager-Madden

Fink is righteous, and far be it from me to discourage its use under any
circumstances.

FWIW, however, I found ruby 1.8 to be one of the most straightforward
builds from source I''ve come across under OS X, just riding bareback on
gcc. I don''t recall having to do any special config line mojo at all.
configure;make;sudo make install and I was set. (Of course, I had
readline &c built already. YMMV.)

Cheers,
Thomas