Winapp without console window

Dalibor Sramek

9/5/2003 1:30:00 PM

Hi.

Is there any way how to run a non-GUI Ruby script in Windows without the console
window shown in the taskbar? I need to install a script to a user who would get
distracted by the console window appearing in her taskbar.

Thanks

Dalibor Sramek

--
Dalibor Sramek http://www.insu... | In the eyes of cats,
dalibor.sramek@insula.cz | all things belong to cats.

4 Answers

Oliver Dain

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:30:18 +0900 Dalibor Sramek <dali@insula.cz> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is there any way how to run a non-GUI Ruby script in Windows without the
console
> window shown in the taskbar? I need to install a script to a user who would
get
> distracted by the console window appearing in her taskbar.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dalibor Sramek
>
> --
> Dalibor Sramek http://www.insu... | In the eyes of cats,
> dalibor.sramek@insula.cz | all things belong to cats.

Isn''t that what rubyw is for? I think if you run "rubyw.exe yourscript.rb"
it''ll run without a console. Not sure how you''re starting your app -- e.g.
from scheduler just use the above command as the command line to start it.
With user intervention create a shortcut with the above command as the target,
etc. Either way your script should run without creating a window.

aero6dof

The windows build of ruby should have a rubyw.exe which doesn''t open a
console window.

Cheers,
alan

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 03:10:23AM +0900, Alan Chen wrote:
> The windows build of ruby should have a rubyw.exe which doesn''t open a
> console window.

Thanks, guys. Of course, rubyw.exe is the right solution. I tried it before
but it did not work with non GUI scripts. Probably my Ruby installation was
corrupted. After reinstall everything works perfectly.

One more question:
Is there any way to create system tray icon for a Ruby programm in Windows?
Can one of the GUI bindings for Ruby do that?

Dalibor Sramek

--
Dalibor Sramek http://www.insu... | In the eyes of cats,
dalibor.sramek@insula.cz | all things belong to cats.

daz

"Dalibor Sramek" <dali@insula.cz> wrote:

> One more question:
> Is there any way to create system tray icon for a Ruby programm in Windows?
> Can one of the GUI bindings for Ruby do that?
>
> Dalibor Sramek

Using vruby (included in the PragProg distro).

Homepage is:
http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproj...

Many samples at:
http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/~nyasu/vruby/samp...