Ruby license makes it unuseable ! !

Default User

9/5/2003 5:13:00 AM

Is anyone working on either:

1) cleaning up the Ruby license, so users at least know CLEARLY what they
can and can't do with Ruby.

(OR)

2) re-code the offending parts of the language so ownership and useage
rights are CLEAR.

Without clarification, I can't use Ruby. What a shame; it would have been a
great language . . .

(hint: see the Python license at http://www....) ;-)

3 Answers

Daniel Carrera

What''s wrong with Ruby''s license?
What would you like to do with Ruby which the present license doesn''t allow?

--
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD. PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
.-"~~~"-.

dagbrown

In article <E19v8tk-0000jp-00@hal.virtalex.org>,
Default User <vcharlie@mindspring.com> wrote:
: Is anyone working on either:
:
: 1) cleaning up the Ruby license, so users at least know CLEARLY what they
: can and can''t do with Ruby.
:
: (OR)
:
: 2) re-code the offending parts of the language so ownership and useage
: rights are CLEAR.
:
: Without clarification, I can''t use Ruby. What a shame; it would have been a
: great language . . .

Don''t suppose you can give a solid example of some of the language
in the Ruby license that you feel is offensive, can you?

(thought not)

--Dave

Tim Hammerquist

Default User graced us by uttering:

No real name.

> Is anyone working on either:
>
> 1) cleaning up the Ruby license, so users at least know
> CLEARLY what they can and can''t do with Ruby.
>
> (OR)
>
> 2) re-code the offending parts of the language so ownership
> and useage rights are CLEAR.

Vague allusion(s) to a problem the user has without description.

> Without clarification, I can''t use Ruby. What a shame; it
> would have been a great language . . .

I recall a very similar argument about this last month. The
Pythonista must not be very adept at searching the archives.

> (hint: see the Python license at http://www....) ;-)

And the crowning touch to make this trollbait.

puts "That''s all for today, folks!" unless tim.has_time()
That''s all for today, folks!

Tim Hammerquist
--
You know what killed off the dinosaurs, Whateley? We did. In one barbecue.
-- Cthulhu, "I Cthulhu (or What''s a Tentacle-Faced Thing like