Re: Print to the printer

Sabyasachi Mustafi

9/4/2003 6:54:00 PM

Thanks for your mail. I want to use it for LINUX and Windows
both. For this I am planning to make it in a file and then print
that file. But I need more specific way to do it. I think
"/dev/lp0" will work. But is there anything to make it formatted
with different fonts, color and size?
I got a book a ruby book "SAMS teach yourself ruby in days"
and after that I am planning to shift in ruby. Basically I am a VB
programmer but I like LINUX and the open source environment. Is
there anything in ruby to make the GUI as simple as in VB? I am
making it in Tk and it is fine but it is taking a lot of time.
I am in Calcutta(INDIA). I am sure that in calcutta nobody(!)
knows ruby. I am also a student. I want to learn ruby. But there
are no such books in here. But after joining in this list I am
getting confidence. Make ruby popular.
LET US RUBY

Regards,
Sabyasachi Mustafi

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 Scott Thompson wrote :
>>Hello,
>> I have just started RUBY. But is there anything to print
>>something to the printer through RUBY? Please help me as soon as
>>possible.
>
>Printing to the printer is an operation that is very specific to
>each operating system. There may be a way to print to the
>printer from the Operating system that you are using, but without
>knowing which OS that is... we can't help you.
>Scott

Law meets Electronics; Veena Weds Sanjay.
Rediff Matchmaker strikes another interesting match !!
Visit http://rediff.com/ma...

2 Answers

Simon Strandgaard

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:53:55 +0900, Sabyasachi Mustafi wrote:

> Thanks for your mail. I want to use it for LINUX and Windows
> both. For this I am planning to make it in a file and then print
> that file. But I need more specific way to do it. I think
> "/dev/lp0" will work. But is there anything to make it formatted
> with different fonts, color and size?

SVG could be useful for dealing with auto-generated-images.
Take a look at, to see if it fits your needs.
http://rubyforge.org/project...

> I got a book a ruby book "SAMS teach yourself ruby in days"
> and after that I am planning to shift in ruby. Basically I am a VB
> programmer but I like LINUX and the open source environment. Is
> there anything in ruby to make the GUI as simple as in VB? I am
> making it in Tk and it is fine but it is taking a lot of time.

I can recommend fxruby, its a ruby-interface to fox-toolkit, which
is a platform independent widget set.. eg: works on unix, windows, macosx.
http://www.f...

> I am in Calcutta(INDIA). I am sure that in calcutta nobody(!)
> knows ruby. I am also a student. I want to learn ruby. But there
> are no such books in here. But after joining in this list I am
> getting confidence. Make ruby popular.
> LET US RUBY

Great attitude, keep up the spirit :-)

--
Simon Strandgaard

Hal E. Fulton

> I got a book a ruby book "SAMS teach yourself ruby in days" and after
> that I am planning to shift in ruby. Basically I am a VB programmer but
> I like LINUX and the open source environment. Is there anything in ruby
> to make the GUI as simple as in VB? I am making it in Tk and it is fine
> but it is taking a lot of time.
> I am in Calcutta(INDIA). I am sure that in calcutta nobody(!) knows
> ruby. I am also a student. I want to learn ruby. But there are no such
> books in here. But after joining in this list I am getting confidence.
> Make ruby popular.
> LET US RUBY

Do not be surprised if there are other Ruby users in Calcutta. The book
_Making Use of Ruby_ was written by an Indian, I think (though he may
be a US resident or even a US citizen as far as I know).

And while we''re on the topic of books.

The _Teach Yourself Ruby_ book is a good one. Mark Slagell did a great
job on that, much better IMO than the average book in that series.

As you may know: _Programming Ruby_ is the definitive Ruby book in
English (called the "pickaxe" because of the picture on the cover). I am
partial to _The Ruby Way_, of course, since I wrote (most of) it.
_The Ruby Developer''s Guide_ is good also.

There''s an O''Reilly book by Matz. It''s the only one in English I don''t
have. I''ve heard it''s very good, but some people have complained about
its organization.

If you speak German, there are a couple of other options, and if you
speak Japanese, there are *many* others.

And of course, there are many good websites. But you can find them all
eventually if you "manually spider" from the ruby-lang.org site.

Good luck, and spread the word.

Hal