tony pigram

12/31/2001 11:40:00 AM

Hi Pasha,

As you'll be able to tell from my email address, I'm glad
you've got an M-Business Server from AvantGo! ;-)

I also am investigating what is achievable / not
achievable with "Mobile .Net" - from what I can see at the
moment EVERYTHING is based on the client having a perm.
wireless connection, as you will no doubt know, the M-
Business Server and Client from AvantGo will allow you to
handle scenarios where the device does not have a live
connection (which is a more often than not).

For gaining access to your intranet from external sources,
this is merely down to architecture and setting up secure
access via a DMZ (or similar) - your M-Business server can
be setup to work from a DMZ etc...

From what I've seen of MIT/"Talisker" etc... it's pretty
much ALL based around having a perm. connection to the
backend systems - pretty much like solutions from Siebel
etc...

I cannot see that Microsoft .Net is in anyway going to
replace what the AvantGo M-Business Server can offer you,
or even provide an "alternative" (If anyone know's
different, please let me know!)
I think that you will be able to still use ASP.Net etc...
the same as you currently do with ASP.

If you're thinking of moving from Blackberry to any other
form of PDA/Mobile device you will be able to do this with
minimum (and I mean minimum as in, usually zero)
modification to your backend applications etc... when
you're using the M-Business Server.

If you are using Blackberry and AvantGo, you must be US
based? If so, can you let me know who your AvantGo
contact is?

You can email me directly with further questions, queries
etc...

many thanks

Tony Pigram
tpigram@avantgo.com

and is accessible
http://www.black... for
>wireless exchange client, want to use it for wireless
access of the intranet
>website
>* MS VS.NET will be launced on feb-13-02(is it ok to go
for dotnet beta 2
>before launch)
>* M-Business server by http://www.A... to render
HTML to blackberry
>PDA's which has a lot of good stuff bundled in for
wireless rendering of
>existing HTML sites
>* security should be really be good
>
>given the above scenario, which way should i go, Please
help!!!!!!!!!!!!
>THANKS IN ADVANCE
>-Pasha
>

>.

1 Answer

Lawrence Ricci

Tony-

I think I need to learn more about AvantGo! But I believe ALOT of what
Talikser CE.NET is a about is discontinuous networks. In particular MSMQ
and Active Sync. I believe this all pulls forward (an more) into the .NET
Compact Framework.

I came in mid- thread; I may be mixed up- can you contact me off line?

Lawrence (Larry) Ricci eMVP
ego@lawrencericci.com