Konstantin

9/14/2003 8:29:00 PM

Hi everyone,
Does anyone aware of how the intellisense feature works in dot net. Does it
imports libraries from the database of some sort, or xml, or using registry.
If anyone has any information, please share it with me. Any help will be
appreciated.

Bob

4 Answers

Harkos

Sometimes we see a message "wait while building the database" or something
like that. I believe it works loading XML files (just like the ones created
as class documentation) and creates a database where it can easily find any
data about a type.

[]''s,
Harkos

"Konstantin" <i_konstantin@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi everyone,
> Does anyone aware of how the intellisense feature works in dot net. Does
it
> imports libraries from the database of some sort, or xml, or using
registry.
> If anyone has any information, please share it with me. Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> Bob

(Mattias Sjögren)

>Does anyone aware of how the intellisense feature works in dot net. Does it
>imports libraries from the database of some sort, or xml, or using registry.
>If anyone has any information, please share it with me. Any help will be
>appreciated.

..NET assemblies are self-describing. They carry metadata that describe
all types implemented in the assembly, among other things.
IntelliSense simply reads this metadata for the assemblies you have
referenced.

Mattias

--
Mattias Sj&#246;gren [MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.n...

Lloyd Dupont

nonono !
what about the method description ?!
"this method is called when blablabla..."
I think you should have the XML file along the DLL, haven''t tried yet
though...

"Mattias Sj&#246;gren" <mattias.dont.want.spam@mvps.org> wrote in message

> >Does anyone aware of how the intellisense feature works in dot net. Does
it
> >imports libraries from the database of some sort, or xml, or using
registry.
> >If anyone has any information, please share it with me. Any help will be
> >appreciated.
>
> .NET assemblies are self-describing. They carry metadata that describe
> all types implemented in the assembly, among other things.
> IntelliSense simply reads this metadata for the assemblies you have
> referenced.
>

> Mattias
>
> --
> Mattias Sj&#246;gren [MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
> http://www.msjogren.n...
> Please reply only to the newsgroup.

PhallGuy

IntelliSense uses both reflection and XML when providing help to the
developer. From what I've been able to tell, it uses Reflection to determine
what methods and properties are exposed and then attempts to match an XML
entry to those fields. I've only been able to create the XML files from C#,
though I've heard of tools for VB.

- Paul Alexander
http://ww...