microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Visual Studio .net and Norton Internet Security

Edu

If you use Norton Internet Security, you might be having the same problem
I'm having when developing on Visual Studio .net.

Before, when using vb6, I had only once to set a rule on the firewall to
permit VB6.exe to access the internet and I could run any project without
getting the "Program Control" pop-up window.

Now, with visual studio .net, every time I run/debug a project, that
annoying "Program Control" window pops up and I have to permit access.

Is there a way to configure the firewall to that any project running from
inside Visual Studio would automatically have granted access to the internet
like it used to be with VB6?

Thanks,
Eduardo

1 Answer

Allan McLemore

Hi Edu,

That would require by-passing the firewall. The thing is .NET apps are
compiled and not interpreted inside of the IDE when you run them, hence your
firewall saying that the application has changed each time. There are only
2 possibly ways I believe, first is to work out a way of automatically
adding the application the your firewall (programatically) which might even
be impossible, and the second is to disable the firewall altogether when
debugging. I know that this is irritating as I have experienced it before
also. Does Norton Anti Virus have recognized trusted applications that it
automatically allows access too? if so maybe have a hard look into how to
bodge an application into that list, which again might be impossible (I have
no idea).

Nick.