Lloyd Dupont

8/1/2003 12:28:00 AM

could someone explain em a bit how licensing work ?
I've been trying to read whatever I could in the doc about that but I was
not able to decyher it ;-(

3 Answers

Lloyd Dupont

well, obviously my question was not clear enough !
I have no worry about the .NET framework.
I want to licence MY work. I know that the .NET framework come with some
policy to licence code and ensure 3rd party use it only if they are allowed
to.

I found a sample using the LicLicenceProvider, although I understand the
principles and the VS.NET project worked well, I was unsuccessfull in doing
one small project of my own and compile it on the command line, therefore I
still get the impression I didn''t understand everything.

And I was wondering if some one could help me, by
- providing a short explanation/example ?
- send me a simple sample compilable with just a simple ''build.bat'' file ?

"Dino Chiesa [MSFT]" <dinoch@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What''s your question, specifically?
>
> In general, you should think of the .NET Runtime as a feature of windows.
> If you have a license for Windows, then you have the right to run apps
that
> use the .NET Framework. There is also the ability to redistribute the
..NET
> Runtime. The package is called the .NET Framework Redistributable. If
you
> are building apps, you can bundle in the .NET Runtime with your install.
>
> The .NET SDK is also free for use on Windows. any apps you build with the
> SDK are royalty free, as far as the .NET pieces go (license terms for
third
> party runtimes may vary).
>
> I am not a lawyer, but basically, .NET is a part of Windows and there is
no
> additional cost to developing with it, or running apps that use it.
>
> -Dino
> (Microsoft)
>

> "Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@galador.net> wrote in message
> > could someone explain em a bit how licensing work ?
> > I''ve been trying to read whatever I could in the doc about that but I
was
> > not able to decyher it ;-(

Lloyd Dupont

Thanks, I will look at that !

http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/winforms/doc/WinFormsCreatingControls.aspx#Licensing%...

http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2003_03/magazine/columns/desktopdeveloper/defa...

> http://windowsforms.net/articles/Lice...
>
> and of course there is www.xheo.com (third party licensing add-on)
>

> "Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@galador.net> wrote in message
> > well, obviously my question was not clear enough !
> > I have no worry about the .NET framework.
> > I want to licence MY work. I know that the .NET framework come with some
> > policy to licence code and ensure 3rd party use it only if they are
> allowed
> > to.
> >
> > I found a sample using the LicLicenceProvider, although I understand the
> > principles and the VS.NET project worked well, I was unsuccessfull in
> doing
> > one small project of my own and compile it on the command line,
therefore
> > still get the impression I didn''t understand everything.
> >
> > And I was wondering if some one could help me, by
> > - providing a short explanation/example ?
> > - send me a simple sample compilable with just a simple ''build.bat'' file
?

> > "Dino Chiesa [MSFT]" <dinoch@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > What''s your question, specifically?
> > >
> > > In general, you should think of the .NET Runtime as a feature of
> windows.
> > > If you have a license for Windows, then you have the right to run apps
> > that
> > > use the .NET Framework. There is also the ability to redistribute
the
> > .NET
> > > Runtime. The package is called the .NET Framework Redistributable.
If
> > you
> > > are building apps, you can bundle in the .NET Runtime with your
install.

> > > The .NET SDK is also free for use on Windows. any apps you build with
> the
> > > SDK are royalty free, as far as the .NET pieces go (license terms for
> > third
> > > party runtimes may vary).
> > >
> > > I am not a lawyer, but basically, .NET is a part of Windows and there
is
> > no
> > > additional cost to developing with it, or running apps that use it.
> > >
> > > -Dino
> > > (Microsoft)
> > >

> > > "Lloyd Dupont" <lloyd@galador.net> wrote in message
> > was

Lloyd Dupont

hey ! you know it ! (I mean CsGL !) :-)
well it''s BSD licensed and visible since a while, I have no intention to
licence it in anyway.

It''s just I convince my boss to go to .NET and I want to licence our
products.
..NET has a nice licencing policy with some helpers class with different
policy at designe time (in VS.NET) and runtime, and it also work well with
no touch deployment, so I rather use it, but I''m about to understand it
thouroughly.

basically the library licence key should be embeded into the
executing/referencing assembly.
I could do it my self, but I would like to understand the licence compiler
and the other stuff before considering doing y own version.

I definitely not intend to buy when it''s effectively so simple to do ...

cheers mate,
It''s always a pleasure to be recognized !
where do you use CsGL ?

Lloyd