microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

MouseKeys Accessibility mode - Odd behavior

Dave Leach

7/29/2003 9:00:00 PM

Is there a known problem with the MouseKeys mode?

I am setting the mouse speed and acceleration using the
Accessibility Options dialog, going to the Mouse tab and
pressing the Settings button. If I set Speed to the
maximum value, regardless of the Acceleration value, the
mouse cursor jumps unexpectantly when changing directions.

Problem replication instructions:
- Using Windows XP, Version 2002, SP1.
- Enable MouseKeys: Press Left-Shift + Left-Alt + NumLock.
- Open Accessibility Options in Control Panel.
- Select Mouse tab and press Settings.
- Set "Top speed" to maximum.
- Set "Acceleration" to any setting, but I used above mid-
range.
- Press OK and then Apply.
- Press NumLock once or twice to enable.
- Position mouse cursor near left edge of display.
- Press and hold number pad key 6 to move cursor to the
right until maximum speed occurs.
- Before cursor reaches right edge of display, release 6.
- Press and hold number pad key 4 to move cursor to the
left.
- NOTE that mouse cursor JUMPS to the RIGHT before moving
to the LEFT.
- Repeat procedure using any direction desired.

This jumping behavior occurs whenever the cursor diection
is changed after the cursor has reached its maximum speed!
The jump always occurs in the opposite direction to the
new desired direction. The jump does not occur if the
maximum speed is not reached.

Is this a known problem?
If yes, is there a fix on the way or a workaround (yeah, I
know, don't set the speed to maximum).

Thanks,
Dave

4 Answers

jslin

You can review following KB for MouseKeys Accessibility mode

HOW TO: Set Up and Manage Accessibility for the Mobility Impaired in
WGID:323
ID: 323541.KB.EN-US

http://support.microsoft.com/...

Thanks

Jian Shen

Dave Leach

Jian Shen,

The knowledge base article you provided does not discuss
the problem I described in my posting. Please review the
problem I described in my posting and let me know if this
is a known problem.

If it is a known problem, is there a known solution?

If it is not a known problem, can you try to replicate the
problem and let me know the results?

Thanks,
Dave

confers no rights.

>.

Dave Leach

Jian Shen,

Thanks for the pointer to the proper newsgroup. I will
try posting there.

Dave

anh known issue
>about your problem.
>
>Then I following your reproduce step, I found I can''t
reproduce the same as
>your said.
>
>When I press the 4, the direction will move to left
immediately.

>By the way, your question seem like WinXP setup and
configuration issue,
>the
>microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk newsgroup is not
the properly
>newsgroup for this issue.
>
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility newsgroup is the
properly
>newsgroup for this issue, there are some experts about
MouseKeys in that
>queue.
>
>You can post this issue to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility and it
>may get more prompt response there.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jian Shen

confers no rights.

>.

brettke

Hi Dave,

That''s because microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility is not a managed
newsgroup. If you would like to reach the accessibility newsgroup, please
use Outlook Express or whatever your favorite newsreader is and provide a
public post.

Brett Keown
DS Communities Team
brettke@online.microsoft.com