microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Windows Installer/Setup Projects and Backups

acalbaza

7/14/2003 7:33:00 PM

Hello,

I have a setup project that I need to modify in order to perform an
update of sorts.

The setup project I am working with is set up such that a new install
will provide a new base directory labeled with the software version #.
A typical installation would be as follows -
"<install_location>/1.1.1/app data".

I need to create a deployment that will:
- Create a new base directory with the new software version #.
- Install all files as normal.
- Copy an existing file from a previous install location (old software
version #) and place it in the new install location.

Is this possible w/ a setup project? I see that custom actions are
available to me. According to the docs, these execute only after the
install is complete. I need to grab a handle to the existing file
(which is in the registry) before the install occurs, perform the
installation, and then perform the copy of the existing file to the
new location. I'd like to do work before the install process and then
do work after the install process. Any hints?

Thanks,

Alejandro