microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Odd problem with InputBox

Nick Jacobsen

7/10/2003 9:18:00 PM

hey all, I am having an odd problem with the InputBox in VB.NET, and it ONLY
happens on one of my computers. When I try "Dim x as String =
InputBox("TESTPROMPT"), I get the following error:

----
[Exception Details]
----

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Class already exists
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateGet(Object o,
Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
CopyBack)
at NexGen.Environment.RaiseSpecialEvent(String& strAction, Object&
objSender) in Z:\Source Code\Presentation
Tier\VB.NET\NexGen.Environment\Environment.vb:line 73
at AMC.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in Z:\Source
Code\Presentation Tier\VB.NET\NexGen.AMC\frmMain.vb:line 2517
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg,
IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

any ideas?

TIA
Nick Jacobsen
njacobsen@pfastship.com

4 Answers

Herfried K. Wagner

Hello,

"news.microsoft.com" <njacobsen@pfastship.com> schrieb:
> hey all, I am having an odd problem with the InputBox in VB.NET, and it
ONLY
> happens on one of my computers. When I try "Dim x as String =
> InputBox("TESTPROMPT"), I get the following error:

What version of .NET do you use? What operating system?

I do not recommend to use the InputBox function because it doesn''t properly
localize the buttons'' captions for other languages than English (.NET 1.0).

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner
--
MVP &#183; VB Classic, VB .NET
http://www.mvps....

Nick Jacobsen

Sorry, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, both 1.0 and 1.1 of the .Net Framework.
Is there a different single line solution you would use for user input?

Nick J
njacobsen@pfastship.com

"Herfried K. Wagner" <aon.912666908.N.O.S.P.@.M.aon.at> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <njacobsen@pfastship.com> schrieb:
> > hey all, I am having an odd problem with the InputBox in VB.NET, and it
> ONLY
> > happens on one of my computers. When I try "Dim x as String =
> > InputBox("TESTPROMPT"), I get the following error:
>
> What version of .NET do you use? What operating system?
>
> I do not recommend to use the InputBox function because it doesn''t
properly
> localize the buttons'' captions for other languages than English (.NET
1.0).

> Regards,
> Herfried K. Wagner
> --
> MVP &#183; VB Classic, VB .NET
> http://www.mvps....

Nick Jacobsen

hey all, I am having an odd problem with the InputBox in VB.NET, and it ONLY
happens on one of my computers, the rest run the code fine. When I try
[...]

CT

Sounds like a setup problem to me. Have you tried doing a repair of your VS
..NET installation on the machine in question? (I know it''s trivial, but it
has been known to fix some weird problems now and then...<g>)

--
Carsten Thomsen
Enterprise Development with Visual Studio .NET, UML, and MSF