microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Parallel port interfacing with C#

Shahram Ahmadinejad

7/9/2003 8:52:00 AM

I'm working on a project called controlling devices
over internet. The hardware intefacing part is to be
done through parallel port. The whole project have
been done using C# of .Net platform. My problem is
that I don't know what's the class that I can use to
communicate with parallel port and send a byte
corresponding to command I want to give out to device
connected to it. I don't want to use old system dll
files that might make my code unamanged and out of
..Net framework. I want to know the way I can have it
done in c#.

I'll be so thankful if you help me.
Thanks in advance,
Shahram.

1 Answer

NETMaster

..NET 1.0/1.1 has no support for legacy ports (COM/LPT)
You have to use PInvoke or Interop...

If the attached device follows printer hand-shaking protocols:
HOW TO: Send Raw Data to a Printer by Using Visual C# .NET :
http://support.microsoft.com/?k...

If you want to control the port pins:
You have to install some kind of hardware drivers!
(Warning: will impact system security/reliability)

[NOTE: this is a restriction of the OS, not of .NET]

commercial, specific for printer ports, e.g.:
http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/ntport/dow...
http://www.n...
for .NET : generic IO
http://www.winsoft.sk/n...

C++/Win32
http://www.logix4...
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/t...
http://www.inte...

For more information about ports, check this sites:
http://www.lvr.com/p...
http://www.beyon...

for Interop, please use newsgroup:

Thomas Scheidegger - MVP .NET - ''NETMaster''
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_d... - http://dnetm...