Re: pda with standard web application

Craig Deelsnyder

8/3/2003 4:49:00 PM

You can use the same pages, assuming they fit the screen. One thing you'll
run into is that the default way viewstate is stored will not work. The
viewstate in normal ASP.NET is too large of a string for the hidden field
used in the page. Pocket IE will choke on it. Search aspalliance.com for
Paul Wilson's articles. He wrote one on how to alter where viewstate is
stored; you could store it to session, although if you allow the user to hit
the back button, this may not be ideal, as only one previous viewstate is
available (whereas normally it's in the page).

This is the main limitation. MMIT was built to deal with this and other
limitations, and hence is the preferred way of doing this. But you'll
notice it doesn't have a DataGrid, e.g. (last time I worked with it), but
you can in fact use one if you override the viewstate problem and use a
normal ASP.NET datagrid.

If you've really abstracted your pages correctly, you should be able to
maintain two sets of pages with minimal overhead. I must warn you though,
PocketIE has other bugs with tabbing/focus, etc. that are somewhat painful
to deal with, depending on how picky your users are.

--
Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET