Re: Keyword "with"

Mark J. Reed

7/16/2003 11:20:00 AM

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:41:11PM +0900, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
> > module Kernel
> > def with(obj, &blk)
> > obj.instance_eval &blk
> > end
> > end

This has apparently been proposed before. The resistance to
including it may simply come from the fact that, from a general
design perspective, instance_eval is a Bad Thing(TM). It violates
encapsulation and removes an object's ability to manage its own data.
There are legitimate uses for it on occasion, so the capability is
good to have, but if it were *easier* to do, it would probably be
(ab)used more often.

-Mark
9 Answers

Kangaroo Court Australia

http://kangaroocourtaustralia.../cms/index.php?/topi......

http://kangaroocourtaustralia.../cms/index.php?/topi......

http://kangaroocourtaustralia.../cms/index.php?/topi......

"Although I'm still a Muslim, I'm not here tonight to discuss my
religion. I'm not here to try and change your religion. I'm not here
to argue or discuss anything that we differ about, because it's time
for us to submerge our differences and realize that it is best for us
to first see that we have the same problem, a common problem, a
problem that will make you catch hell whether you're a Baptist, or a
Methodist, or a Muslim, or a nationalist. Whether you're educated or
illiterate, whether you live on the boulevard or in the alley, you're
going to catch hell just like I am. We're all in the same boat and we
all are going to catch the same hell from the same man. He just
happens to be a white man. All of us have suffered here, in this
country, political oppression at the hands of the white man, economic
exploitation at the hands of the white man, and social degradation at
the hands of the white man.

Now in speaking like this, it doesn't mean that we're anti-white, but
it does mean we're anti-exploitation, we're anti-degradation, we're
anti-oppression. And if the white man doesn't want us to be anti-him,
let him stop oppressing and exploiting and degrading us. Whether we
are Christians or Muslims or nationalists or agnostics or atheists, we
must first learn to forget our differences" Malcom X

On Nov 30, 9:26 pm, Kangaroo Court Australia <nwn.webmas...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

illiterate, whether you live on the boulevard or in the alley, you're
going to catch hell just like I am. We're all in the same boat and we
all are going to catch the same hell from the same man. He just
happens to be a white man. All of us have suffered here, in this
country, political oppression at the hands of the white man, economic
exploitation at the hands of the white man, and social degradation at
the hands of the white man.

Now in speaking like this, it doesn't mean that we're anti-white, but
it does mean we're anti-exploitation, we're anti-degradation, we're
anti-oppression. And if the white man doesn't want us to be anti-him,
let him stop oppressing and exploiting and degrading us. Whether we
are Christians or Muslims or nationalists or agnostics or atheists, we
must first learn to forget our differences" Malcom X

Benway (original non-Zionist)

Re KoranGoesTo Court and Charles Pham:-

Are we talking about the Charles Pham v.
University of Queensland & Another case?
Pham was an applicant to the Australian Federal
Court on some issue. He didn't turn up on the day
of the hearing and made a request for several
adjournments, citing medical reasons and Section
46PR of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity
Commission Act of 1986. The court gave him a
chance, asking him to turn up on the 30th of July
with his doctor to prove his case for an
adjournment, but he didn't show. The application
was dismissed and he was made to pay the
respondent's costs including reserved costs.