Re: My brief and torrid affair with Ruby.

Orion Hunter

7/9/2003 10:26:00 PM

Viruses use "host cell" resources to reproduce, since they do not have the
resources to do so on their own. Likewise, the GPL spreads not by its own
means, buy by turning "host cell" resources (i.e. code) towards that end
(making more GPL code). Thus helping to proliferate the virus (GPL) through
the population.

And, just to add another twist to the discussion... viruses (though derived
from the latin term virus meaning poison or venom) are not always bad.
Antibiotic resistance among bacteria can be spread by phage (bacterial
viruses), which is a "good" thing for the bacteria. And viruses are also
(trying) to be used to transport "correct" DNA into a host to, in theory,
replace the bad and "cure" genetic diseases.

So, to say the GPL is a virus is not necessarily a bad thing... after all,
for everyone who is pro-GPL, this "virus like spread" promotes GPL
development.

http://join.msn.com/?page=feature...