Re: Ruby books

Maik Schmidt

7/7/2003 11:51:00 AM

Jesper Olsen wrote:
> What is the best book for learning Ruby (Ruby specifically, not
> programming in general)?
Thatt depends on the reader, of course :-)

> "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide", Andrew Hunt,
> Davis Thomas
>
> has obtained very good reviews, but it is somewhat dated (2000, Ruby
> 1.6).
It is still my favourite one and indispensable IMHO. It covers every
aspect of Ruby and contains a great language reference. If you are
looking only for a complete reference, then go and get matz' "Ruby in a
nutshell". To read something like a cookbook, give "The Ruby Way" a chance.

> What has happend to ruby since v. 1.6?

A lot has happened, but most of the changes are backwards compatible
as far as I know, so reading a book on version 1.6 is not a time waste.

1 Answer

Lothar Scholz

> aspect of Ruby and contains a great language reference. If you are
> looking only for a complete reference, then go and get matz'' "Ruby in a
> nutshell".

But don''t expect it to be a complete reference otherwise you will be
very very disappointed. This book is just a hack, not a specification.
For example no BNF, not detailed parameter discusssions, no words
about thrown exceptions etc.