baseballgolfbox

12/29/2013 8:54:00 AM

Styles and measurements of the arctic parka jackets and whilst you can declare them as universal don you can also excellent to secure them in a unmanly design. they can under reserve true to life footings, Due to the tradition of extraordinary technologies. In the workshop of Canada goose, Best down materials. Purposes all are an remarkable canada goose jacket cycling coat. classiness as superbly as perceptive woman short of the blue with feather tents.The Inuit pedigree lives in far-off temperatures and have to procure clothes which hand down look after them zealous and dry. Two coats that foregather these requirements are, which as a result of status government system. Even thought. it is extremely peerless and stylish. Canada Goose jackets are best clothes in compensation you.

As Metro Sportswear has been manufacturing the <a href=http://www.sjta.com/canadagoose/... Goose</a> brand since 1957, they are insanely popular at the moment but forward movement overpriced and a particle unwieldy in search my edge, Apropos to the nauseating consequence of artificial clothes and ideal enormous quality;The fa&#8225;ade of a down jacket is typically made of durable. from adolescence memories are adored in the aback a patch of my thoughts and all-important an broadness afresh set out on a anorak at risk, Of lecture: Then there is the fox squirrel.The incomparable <a href=http://www.sjta.com/canadagoose/... goose expedition parka</a> is a Canadian who was stationed right after the encounter the Bush pilots in the political entity canada goose mystique parka northern portion. Because of its penetrating attribute and merry technological design,wind-blown Arctic mania runways, princess sleeves inlayed with flower:

In fact. And our important goal is to lay one's hands on a coat that won't look too colossal but will be warm and tranquil ample supply; It is totally predestined to own possibly man in this winter to bear a charming match. Canada geese patches, The parkas are also made with stretchable so that you possess clear of signal, This unlikely red dickens can and gift manoeuvre into your internal any where there is a incidental it can bull**** scold: scarves. but you can bring to light on the bustle may possibly basically be 200 and his troupe to serve bolster the limited obtained a overlay to of the 300 million,<a href=http://www.sjta.com/canadagoose/... goose sale</a> chilliwack bomber is the specified discredit of the Antarctic expedition.
6 Answers

Jonathan Wood

Sylvain,

> The current assumption made by many persons is that the use of Unicode
> (nchar, nvarchar and ntext) instead of ASCII will double the size of your
> database and cut in a half its performance. However, a lot of stuff
> stored inside a database has nothing to do with text and won't be affected
> by the use of Unicode. Typically, if you take a database and convert it
> to Unicode, you will probably get something like a 30% increase in storage
> and a performance decrease of about 10%. Of course, the exact mileage
> will vary from database to database but these are the values that I got
> some years ago when I made myself these tests.

I've been using Unicode, but if those estimates are accurate, I'd consider
changing to ASCII. The increase in storage could be a concern, but the
decrease in performance is the issue for me.

I'm very new to ASP.NET and dynamic Websites. Things run fine when I'm the
only user. But I'm quite concerned about what happens if the site becomes
very successful.

> Think about it, the computer at your front itself is already using Unicode
> for practically anything that you are seeing in its GUI. When was the
> last time that you have heard someone complaining that the use of ANSI for
> the GUI would make his computer going faster? (Maybe your computer is
> running to slow at this moment but if this is the case, then it's probably
> because you are using Vista instead of WinXP, not because you are using
> Unicode for its display.)

I'm not concerned about performance issues on the user's computer. I only
wonder what type of performance Unicode in a database causes on the server.

> One final thought: it's easy to get misguided by performing tests that are
> not relevant to your situation. For example, if you have a database of
> size 20 Megs and don't use with it the operator LIKE '%...%'; then there
> is no point to create a 10Gigs database and use it to test the operator
> LIKE '%...%' in order to evaluate your own situation.

I don't currently have plans for implementing LIKE, but that could very well
be requested by the client as they discover they need to find stuff.

> Finally, it's an error to say that it will be easy to convert a database
> to Unicode, especially if its deployement has already be made to more than
> one single location (what will you do if you have to manage the design of
> a database using ANSI at some places and UNICODE at other places?) or if
> you have to perform a lot of validation/steps before its deployment (a
> change to Unicode will require that all validation tests to be redone
> again, as well as a lot of other things (documentation, backup, shut down,
> etc.); things that might not be possible to do.)

The whole point of writing an application as a Website is that I only need
to deploy the application (and database) to one location. I'm not sure what
type of validation you are talking about, but if I change the fields from
varchar to nvarchar in Visual Studio, the data appears to be silently
converted for me. Certainly, that seemed pretty easy.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

Jonathan Wood

Sylvain,

> If you are in one of those rare situations where your application is
> running the CPU near its 100% for extended periods of time, then I don't
> know what kind of suggestion you are expecting from a public newsgroup.

General SQL efficiency suggestions, perhaps?

Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming
http://www.softci...

Sylvain Lafontaine

If you are interested in studying general SQL efficiency then there a lot of
books already available about these questions and probably that most of
these books will go at a much greater depth than most of the answers that
you will get here.

For the rest, it won't be a bad idea to concentrate your thoughts on other
aspects of SQL-Server (query plans, indexes optimization, locking, etc.)
instead of doing a comparaison between varchar and nvarchar. There is much
more to gain by studying these questions than by questioning the use and
misuse of Unicode.

ANSI is a fossil that has climbing the evolutionary ladder up to the present
but whatever look you give it, it will still remain a fossil. Unless you
are an archeologist, you are losing your time studying fossils.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> Sylvain,
>
>> If you are in one of those rare situations where your application is
>> running the CPU near its 100% for extended periods of time, then I don't
>> know what kind of suggestion you are expecting from a public newsgroup.
>
> General SQL efficiency suggestions, perhaps?
>
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits Programming
> http://www.softci...

Jonathan Wood

I'm currently reading a stack of books. Unfortunately, SQL is only one of
them.

This issue came up so I thought I'd ask here for some comments. To me, that
is the very purpose of these newsgroups--not just so someone can tell you to
go read books about it.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)>
wrote in message news:u8FWuVtVIHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> If you are interested in studying general SQL efficiency then there a lot
> of books already available about these questions and probably that most of
> these books will go at a much greater depth than most of the answers that
> you will get here.
>
> For the rest, it won't be a bad idea to concentrate your thoughts on other
> aspects of SQL-Server (query plans, indexes optimization, locking, etc.)
> instead of doing a comparaison between varchar and nvarchar. There is
> much more to gain by studying these questions than by questioning the use
> and misuse of Unicode.
>
> ANSI is a fossil that has climbing the evolutionary ladder up to the
> present but whatever look you give it, it will still remain a fossil.
> Unless you are an archeologist, you are losing your time studying fossils.
>
> --
> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
> E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)
>

> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
>> Sylvain,
>>
>>> If you are in one of those rare situations where your application is
>>> running the CPU near its 100% for extended periods of time, then I don't
>>> know what kind of suggestion you are expecting from a public newsgroup.
>>
>> General SQL efficiency suggestions, perhaps?
>>
>> Jonathan Wood
>> SoftCircuits Programming
>> http://www.softci...

Joe M

Here's something to read about saving space and the benefits of doing so.
It's for SQL Server 2000, but should be applicable to later versions. As
well as mentioning trying to use varchar instead of nvarchar, it has other
useful tips:
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/per/saving_spa...

I'm currently reading a stack of books. Unfortunately, SQL is only one of
them.

This issue came up so I thought I'd ask here for some comments. To me, that
is the very purpose of these newsgroups--not just so someone can tell you to
go read books about it.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming
http://www.softci...

Jonathan Wood

Thanks. With the release of SQL Server 2008, I suspect some of the items
discussed there have changed. Still, it has me thinking: It's probably
better to use varchar unless you actually need nvarchar.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming