microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

canada goose womens montebello parka red Snlrcpp

fdxckehw

12/29/2013 12:01:00 AM

3 Answers

Miha Markic

Hi Jonathan,

I was talking about capability of LINQ to SQL designer to create wrapper
methods for stored procedure (you just drag & drop a stored procedure from
server explorer onto designer surface) invocation IOW it creates a C#/VB
method with all the parameters that sp expects. This method in turn calls
stored procedure with given parameters.

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#, INETA Country Leader for Slovenia]
RightHand .NET consulting & development www.rthand.com

"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> I'm using VS2008, so I could try LINQ. However, my understanding is that
> you get better database performance with stored procedures.
>
> But, if you'd care to provide some reasons for your preferences, that's
> something I would be interested in.
>
> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits Programming
> http://www.softci...
>

> "Miha Markic" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> I preffer doing a strong typed approach - i.e. use a code generator
>> (think CodeSmith, or LINQ Designer if you work with VS2008) that
>> generates strong typed methods for me.
>>
>> --
>> Miha Markic [MVP C#, INETA Country Leader for Slovenia]
>> RightHand .NET consulting & development www.rthand.com
>> Blog: http://cs.rthand.com/blogs/blog_with_...
>>
>> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
>>>I would appreciate any comments on the following code--particularly
>>>criticism that is constructive. It is some of my first data-layer code.
>>>
>>> I felt these helper routines would be helpful in their own data-layer
>>> class. There are a few issues that came up, mostly related to using an
>>> SqlDataReader. Also, the compiler complains that all my trailing,
>>> default return statements are unreachable, which doesn't seem right. But
>>> these routines appears to work okay.

Jonathan Wood

Sounds cool, but then I guess I'd need to create one for each stored
procedure.

Not sure that's what I want, but sounds like something I should definitely
check out sometime. The designer is still something I haven't yet become
familiar with.

--

> Sounds cool, but then I guess I'd need to create one for each stored
> procedure.

Yes, that's an annoyance when you have many sprocs. That's why you might use
CodeSmith or some other code generator...Check that out, too.