microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db

michael kors outlet yv5

Katadedajab

12/23/2013 5:33:00 PM

3 Answers

Steve Schofield

You can use ISAPI-Rewrite www.isapirewrite.com to point many top-level
domains or sub-domains to this exact scenario. For example, you can have
all your sites on the D: drive under a folder call domains.

d:\Domains
d:\domains\www.example.com
d:\domains\www.exampe.com\www.Site1.com
d:\domains\www.example.com\www.Site2.com

This component uses an ini file and regular expressions to control
direction. Using this component does not require the uses of host-headers.
As far as DNS, that is just a way to resolve websites to a single iP
address. If you have several sub-domains, using a DNS wildcard is the
easiest, it allows you to create a single A record to resolve unknown
sub-domains to a single IP. Or you can create individual A or CNAME records
pointing to the host record. Either way, it is just resolution.

http://www.or...articles/isapire...

Hope this helps.

--

Thank you,

Steve Schofield
Windows Server MVP - IIS
ASPInsider Member - MCP

http://www.or...
Managed Complex Hosting
#1 in Service and Support

"mrecomm101" <mrecomm101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for your answer. The Host Headers is what I've been getting from
> people, but either they are quite understanding what I'm looking for, or
> I'm
> just not getting it. The scenero I'm trying to create is this:
>
> In IIS, I have a Website setup, www.websites.com on Port 80 with IP
> 1.2.3.4.
> As subdirectories off the home directory, I have a foldes that contain
> small
> individual websites, like this:
>
> www.websites.com
> folder 1: www.smallsite1.com
> folder 2: www.othersite.com
> etc.
>
> I want to be able to point the domain "www.smallsite1.com" to folder 1
> under
> www.websites.com, and so on.
>
> I've seen this called shared IP hosting or name-based virtual hosting.
> Mostly I've seen this done through control panel programs. Any ideas or
> thoughts on how this could be done within the confines of Microsoft IIS
> and
> DNS?
>
> -- Thanks!
>
> "Steve Schofield" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you need to create a wildcard DNS entry, this will allow you
>> have any sub-domain resolve to your static IP, secondly, you need to use
>> host headers.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com...
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_... This typically is an A
>> record with an * asterisk resolving to a single IP.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Steve Schofield
>> Windows Server MVP - IIS
>> ASPInsider Member - MCP
>>
>> http://www.or...
>> Managed Complex Hosting
>> #1 in Service and Support
>>
>> "mrecomm101" <mrecomm101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I'm hosting websites and I want to be able to create a bunch of
>> > small
>> > websites that will run independently under one IP.
>> >
>> > How can I point a domain, like "virtualsite.domain.com" to a directory
>> > within a dedicated IP site?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > -- Steve

mrecomm101

excellent suggestion. Thanks!

"Steve Schofield" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I want to be able to point the domain "www.smallsite1.com" to folder 1
> > under
> > www.websites.com, and so on.
> >
> > I've seen this called shared IP hosting or name-based virtual hosting.
> > Mostly I've seen this done through control panel programs. Any ideas or
> > thoughts on how this could be done within the confines of Microsoft IIS
> > and
> > DNS?
> >
> > -- Thanks!
> >
> > "Steve Schofield" wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like you need to create a wildcard DNS entry, this will allow you
> >> have any sub-domain resolve to your static IP, secondly, you need to use
> >> host headers.
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com...
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_... This typically is an A
> >> record with an * asterisk resolving to a single IP.

.._..

You are describing _EXACTLY_ what Host headers do. They will fit PERFECTLY
with the problem you have.

Why are you not using that as a solution? Are you having trouble figuring
out how to do it? If you have problems getting host headers to work, more
complicated solutions are just going to turn into a misconfiguration
nightmare.