Katadedajab

12/23/2013 1:21:00 PM

2 Answers

wawang

Hi Dave,

Based on my understanding, for log4net and nunit, when they're reading
configuration from .dll.config, they're using their own way to read them.
They do have implemented their own IConfigurationSectionHandler, but that's
used when the configuration is saved in the main application configuration
file.

This topic has been discussed many times and the .NET configuration API is
really not designed to let the library use their own configuration files.

By the way, as I mentioned that this configuration file is per domain, it's
possible to create a separate AppDomain for the library and configure this
AppDomain to use the library's own configuration file. However, this
approach has performance issue. Also, in your case, since Word is loading
your assembly, it's not possible to use this approach. Here's a discussion
thread for your reference:

#MBR IT/.NET 247 : How to use config files with .dll's (an idea - what do
you think?) on microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/41/2...

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support