sucregst

5/7/2013 8:49:00 AM

Former Rugby World Cup winner Ben Cohen knows all too well the effects that bullying can have on people, especially within the gay community and other minority groups. His father was killed at a nightclub he owned when trying to defend someone who was being attacked.

Now, eleven years later, Cohen is using his status as a celebrity and successful athlete to spread the word about <a href=http://www.cheapmonsterbeatsshops.com... headphones costco</a> bullying, and the gay community has become ardent supporters.

Cohen, who began his professional rugby career with the Northampton Saints in 1996, retired from professional rugby in May. At the time of his retirement, Cohen told The Independent that he turned down offers from rugby clubs in both England and France to focus on the StandUp Foundation.

"I would never have imagined my career was going to move in this direction after my rugby career, but here we are - it's happening," Cohen said. "I have reached the top in my sport. It has been an incredible journey and has put me in the privileged position I am in today to be able to work on these exciting new projects through the Stand Up Brand.

"As athletes, it is not enough just to have strong bodies, we must have strong characters and use our voices to support those who need and deserve it."

Cohen has long been an icon in the gay community due to his very public stance against bullying. Cohen, along with members of the police and the armed forces, joined with other community troops in marching through the streets of London in support of gay rights. Celebrations were also scheduled in Soho and Trafalgar Square as well.

Cohen's father's death had much to do with his decision to march in Pride London.

"Fast forward six years, I had a massive gay following that I didn't realise that I had. A lot of people were writing in to me so I started doing things within that community and saying bullying needs to stop.

"I really wanted to make it easier for people who get bullied and I'm in the privileged position of being a successful sportsman and having a place to speak to people and hopefully people listen."

Cohen launched StandUp in late May while visiting the <a href=http://www.cheapmonsterbeatsshops.com... earbuds</a> United States <a href=http://www.cheapmonsterbeatsshops.com>V-MODA... on his Acceptance Tour, which visited several cities and worked with groups at various colleges and community groups. During the tour, Cohen also worked with gay friendly rugby clubs and conducted free training clinics.
</u></font>