scbs29

8/5/2012 1:17:00 PM

Hello all
I am considering upgrading my pc from XP to Win7 64bit. New mobo,
processor, RAM.
From posts I have seen in this newsgroup, I gather that VB6 will
install and run ok in the Win7 64bit environment.
What about addons, though. Can ActiveX controls still be used ? What
about things like MZ-Tools and Codesmart ?

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858
3 Answers

Norm

After serious thinking scbs29 wrote :
> Hello all
> I am considering upgrading my pc from XP to Win7 64bit. New mobo,
> processor, RAM.
> From posts I have seen in this newsgroup, I gather that VB6 will
> install and run ok in the Win7 64bit environment.
> What about addons, though. Can ActiveX controls still be used ? What
> about things like MZ-Tools and Codesmart ?
>
> remove fred before emailing
> Registered Linux User 490858

I am running VB6 SP6B, along with CodeSmart on Windows 7 32 bit and 64
bit with no problems. Although you do have to make a 0 bite file called
MSJAVA.dll and put it into the Windows folder, to keep VB6 from trying
to install their own java, which will not work with Windows 7. The
ActiveX controls I have used work fine, I do not have MZ-Tools, but I
know others here use it and will probably let you know about it.

Norm

I have not been able to get VB6 to finish the install on Windows 8 64
Bit, it has installed on Windows 8 32 Bit.

Tony Toews

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 14:17:14 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
wrote:

>What
>about things like MZ-Tools and Codesmart ?

MZ-Tools works just fine in Win 7 64 bit. Every once in a while, on
startup, I get a clipboard, I think, lock message of some sort and the
MZ-Tools toolbar doesn't appear. Exiting VB6 and restarting it
usually works.

Tony

ObiWan

> Hello all
> I am considering upgrading my pc from XP to Win7 64bit. New mobo,
> processor, RAM.
> From posts I have seen in this newsgroup, I gather that VB6 will
> install and run ok in the Win7 64bit environment.
> What about addons, though. Can ActiveX controls still be used ? What
> about things like MZ-Tools and Codesmart ?

My humble suggestion is... don't install it directly on the box :)
instead, after setting up your new computer, install a VM software
on it (my own preference goes to VirtualBox) then create a new
virtualmachine, install whatever OS you want inside it and then
install your VB6 and... start writing code :)

As for virtualbox, it can be found here https://www.virtu...
and, before nuking your old PC, you may even consider using
this approach

http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtual-virtualbox-virt...

the idea is to generate a VM image of your old PC, storing it onto
a separate support (an USB disk, a NAS...) then reload such an
image into the VirtualBox running on your new box, this way you
will just have *exactly* the box your've now (XP, VB6 and all your
stuff) but running inside the VM on the new hardware :)