BeeJ

7/28/2012

My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
words.

I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and
disrupt the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the
word highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.

rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
moving the caret.

rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.

I need it not grayed out so it can be read.

Is there a
SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
SendMessage that will degray when disabled
or some other method to do this?

--
Present and unaccounted for.

8 Answers

mm

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> escribió en el mensaje
> My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
> words.
>
> I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and disrupt
> the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the word
> highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.
>
> rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
> moving the caret.
>
> rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.
>
> I need it not grayed out so it can be read.
>
> Is there a
> SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
> SendMessage that will degray when disabled
> or some other method to do this?

Place it into a picturebox and enable/disable the picturebox.

Coder X

Really? After all the time you ask if there is a 'SendMessage', when you
mean to ask if there is an edit message? Do you really understand how the
API works?

Google 'rich edit messages' and do your own R & D.

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
> My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
> words.
>
> I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and disrupt
> the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the word
> highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.
>
> rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
> moving the caret.
>
> rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.
>
> I need it not grayed out so it can be read.
>
> Is there a
> SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
> SendMessage that will degray when disabled
> or some other method to do this?
>
> --
> Present and unaccounted for.

Mayayana

I'm not sure I understood what you want, but if you
want to block mouse clicks can't you just subclass
the RTB and stop them from there?

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
| My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
| words.
|
| I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and
| disrupt the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the
| word highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.
|
| rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
| moving the caret.
|
| rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.
|
| I need it not grayed out so it can be read.
|
| Is there a
| SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
| SendMessage that will degray when disabled
| or some other method to do this?
|
| --
| Present and unaccounted for.

BeeJ

Mayayana formulated the question :
> I'm not sure I understood what you want, but if you
> want to block mouse clicks can't you just subclass
> the RTB and stop them from there?

> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>> My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
>> words.
>>
>> I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and
>> disrupt the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the
>> word highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.
>>
>> rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
>> moving the caret.
>>
>> rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.
>>
>> I need it not grayed out so it can be read.
>>
>> Is there a
>> SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
>> SendMessage that will degray when disabled
>> or some other method to do this?
>>
>> --
>> Present and unaccounted for.

Yes, but trying to avoid subclassing since the app already has hooks
for audio. Eduardo's solution works.

BeeJ

After serious thinking Coder X wrote :
> Really? After all the time you ask if there is a 'SendMessage', when you
> mean to ask if there is an edit message? Do you really understand how the
> API works?
>
> Google 'rich edit messages' and do your own R & D.
>
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>> My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
>> words.
>>
>> I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and disrupt
>> the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the word
>> highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.
>>
>> rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
>> moving the caret.
>>
>> rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.
>>
>> I need it not grayed out so it can be read.
>>
>> Is there a
>> SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
>> SendMessage that will degray when disabled
>> or some other method to do this?
>>
>> -- Present and unaccounted for.

I spent an hour searching and found nothing.

BeeJ

on 7/27/2012, Eduardo supposed :
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> My richtext box (VB6 SP6) is dynamically being updated by highlighting
>> words.
>>
>> I want it so that the mouse will not be allowed to click on it and disrupt
>> the dynamic highlighting. The text is not changing but the word
>> highlighting also scrolls the text into view, something I need.
>>
>> rtb.Locked = true keeps it from being editied but not clicked and thus
>> moving the caret.
>>
>> rtb.enable = false keeps it from being clicked but grays it out.
>>
>> I need it not grayed out so it can be read.
>>
>> Is there a
>> SendMessage that will enable/disable without graying
>> SendMessage that will degray when disabled
>> or some other method to do this?
>
> Place it into a picturebox and enable/disable the picturebox.

Thanks that works perfectly.

MikeD

"Coder X" <coder@x.com> wrote in message news:juvcdk$21q$1@dont-email.me...
> Really? After all the time you ask if there is a 'SendMessage', when you
> mean to ask if there is an edit message? Do you really understand how the
> API works?

I guess you haven't been around long enough to know that BeeJ doesn't know
or understand diddly squat. That's why he needs to ask so many questions.
And there's nothing wrong with that in itself. HIS problem is when he
doesn't get an answer he likes, even though it's the "best" or "correct"
answer, he wines about it, places all blame on Microsoft or others, and
usually chastises the person who answered. Bottom line is he doesn't know
how Windows works and therefore can't understand certain "answers" he gets.
And that seems to be the case here.

Mike

Coder X

Au contraire, old friend...I've been around a long, long time. ;-)