microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

A trial with Visual Studio 2008 and 2010!

(Mike Mitchell)

7/23/2012 5:56:00 AM

I found some example code on the net to do threading of newgroup
articles based on the references and message id's. Trouble was, it was
a VB.Net application!

Ah, so I thought I'll just whack in my test drive rack and install the
Visual Studio 2010 Professional Trial, because I can reimage the rack
afterwards. First, downloading this monster was a 2 gig jobbie, but
OK, eventually I had the .iso and burned a DVD. Then I started the
install. 30 minutes later and it was still only halfway through
(guestimate). I was bored by then, so I stopped it, reimaged the drive
back to its original, pristine XP state, then downloaded Visual Studio
2008 Express instead. At least this installed in a reasonable amount
of time. (Only God* can know how long it must take to install the
"Ultimate" version.)

Then the fun started. Well, I say "fun", but I'm just being a little
sarcastic, really. Actually, it was the kind of fun some people must
get from those parties where they dress up in leather hoods and chains
and hammer nails through their private parts. How ~any~one can work
with this unutterably awful piece of crap that is Visual Studio Dot
Net, beats me. Yes, I finally did get that app to work, believe it or
not. Took me most of the day in the end. But trying to fathom the
awfully convoluted way Visual Studio Dot Net does things was a lesson
in hopelessness. I can now see why it never caught on. I always knew
it was a monster, but that it was THIS bad, even being the cynical old
geezer that I am, I could never have imagined.

Even when the app ran (reference here:
http://aspalliance.com/633_Create_a_Threaded_NNTP_Ne...) it was
not very impressive. I can do far better by rewriting it in VB6, which
I shall start to do later today. But I just had to confess to having
been exposed once only (never again!) to trhe VB.Net monster, and now
I feel cleansed again, like my hard drive.

Oh yes, the drive rack has been reimaged again, and we're back to the
future.

MM * figure of speech; there is no God
16 Answers

Tony Toews

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 06:56:08 +0100, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>OK, eventually I had the .iso and burned a DVD. Then I started the
>install. 30 minutes later and it was still only halfway through
>(guestimate).

I've been pointed to Virtual CloneDrive to mount such ISO files rather
than burning DVDs. Install goes much, much faster especially when ISO
file is on a USB attached hard drive. I've also copied all my
software CD/DVDs to ISO files and then made backup copies of the ISO
files. What used to take several days to install software on a new
laptop now takes about a half day.

Also the install of Visual Basic 6.0 goes much, much faster from an
ISO file rather than a DVD. There are lots of small files on the
CD/DVD which really slows things down immensely when reading from the
CD/DVD.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

MikeB

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I found some example code on the net to do threading of newgroup
> articles based on the references and message id's. Trouble was, it was
> a VB.Net application!
>
> Ah, so I thought I'll just whack in my test drive rack and install the
> Visual Studio 2010 Professional Trial, because I can reimage the rack
> afterwards. First, downloading this monster was a 2 gig jobbie, but
> OK, eventually I had the .iso and burned a DVD. Then I started the
> install. 30 minutes later and it was still only halfway through
> (guestimate). I was bored by then, so I stopped it, reimaged the drive
> back to its original, pristine XP state, then downloaded Visual Studio
> 2008 Express instead. At least this installed in a reasonable amount
> of time. (Only God* can know how long it must take to install the
> "Ultimate" version.)
>
> Then the fun started. Well, I say "fun", but I'm just being a little
> sarcastic, really. Actually, it was the kind of fun some people must
> get from those parties where they dress up in leather hoods and chains
> and hammer nails through their private parts. How ~any~one can work
> with this unutterably awful piece of crap that is Visual Studio Dot
> Net, beats me. Yes, I finally did get that app to work, believe it or
> not. Took me most of the day in the end. But trying to fathom the
> awfully convoluted way Visual Studio Dot Net does things was a lesson
> in hopelessness. I can now see why it never caught on. I always knew
> it was a monster, but that it was THIS bad, even being the cynical old
> geezer that I am, I could never have imagined.
>
> Even when the app ran (reference here:
> http://aspalliance.com/633_Create_a_Threaded_NNTP_Ne...) it was
> not very impressive. I can do far better by rewriting it in VB6, which
> I shall start to do later today. But I just had to confess to having
> been exposed once only (never again!) to trhe VB.Net monster, and now
> I feel cleansed again, like my hard drive.
>
> Oh yes, the drive rack has been reimaged again, and we're back to the
> future.

I only use VS2010 for ASP.NET (C#) and still pretty much a novice at it,
but I didn't find all the horror you describe. I did start with a DVD
install instead of a download though...

> MM * figure of speech; there is no God

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Wow. You tried working with a new application that is completely different
from what you've been working with for years and you found that you couldn't
just jump right in and be productive in one day.

Knock me over with a feather.

> But trying to fathom the awfully convoluted way Visual Studio Dot Net does
> things was a lesson in hopelessness. I can now see why it never caught on.

Wait, what?

Mike Williams

"Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam> wrote in message
> "MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> Wow. You tried working with a new application that is completely
> different from what you've been working with for years and you
> found that you couldn't just jump right in and be productive in one day.
> Knock me over with a feather.

Ah! At last someone who tells the truth. VB.Net is NOT Visual Basic at all.
It is something completely different. The name "Visual Basic" is a lie.
Thank you.

Mike

>> But trying to fathom the awfully convoluted way Visual Studio Dot Net
>> does
>> things was a lesson in hopelessness. I can now see why it never caught
>> on.
>
> Wait, what?

(Mike Mitchell)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:47:36 -0400, "Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>Wow. You tried working with a new application that is completely different
>from what you've been working with for years and you found that you couldn't
>just jump right in and be productive in one day.

That's right! I fathomed the depths of classic VB in no time. VB.Net
is by contrast a pig's ear of an application. Plus, it's friggin'
ginormous. It's like Starship Enterprise when all you need is a
Cessna.

>Knock me over with a feather.

Okay.

>> But trying to fathom the awfully convoluted way Visual Studio Dot Net does
>> things was a lesson in hopelessness. I can now see why it never caught on.
>
>Wait, what?

Hey, you're not trying to pretend that the .Net product range has been
*successful*, are you?!!

(Talk about whistling in the dark to keep one's spirits up...)

MM

Mike Williams

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:47:36 -0400, "Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam>
>>Wow. You tried working with a new application that is completely different
>>from what you've been working with for years and you found that you
>>couldn't
>>just jump right in and be productive in one day.
>
> That's right! I fathomed the depths of classic VB in no time. VB.Net
> is by contrast a pig's ear of an application. Plus, it's friggin'
> ginormous. It's like Starship Enterprise when all you need is a
> Cessna.

I must admit that I dipped my toes into VB.Net a little myself for a very
short while. I wrote a very small and simple "Hello World" app which ran
okay on my machine. I then "built" the application so that the exe and a
couple of supporting files ended up in a Bin/Release folder and I copied
that folder over onto my wife's Windows 7 machine which she has had for a
year or so and which has always been kept bang up to date using Windows
Update. I tried to run my little VB.Net "Hello World" app on that Windows 7
machine and the bloody thing would not run! In order to get it going I was
forced to download a huge multimegabyte load of Net rubbish, which took ages
and ages and which required at least one restart. In contrast, a simple VB6
"Hello World" app ran fine on that same Windows 7 machine, first time
without needing to downloas anything at all. That over bloated VB.Net
garbage is a load of rubbish! A complete waste of disk space.

Mike

unknown

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> (Only God* can know how long it must take to install the
> "Ultimate" version.)
> * figure of speech; there is no God

God* I hate it when someone dials 666 and invite the devil**.

* Just a figure of speech, don't know if there is a God or not, but leaning
toward not. Even if he exists, he's more like a friend than something to
worshiped.

** Didn't mean Jeff Johnson.

unknown

"Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
> "MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:47:36 -0400, "Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam>
>>>Wow. You tried working with a new application that is completely
>>>different
>>>from what you've been working with for years and you found that you
>>>couldn't
>>>just jump right in and be productive in one day.
>>
>> That's right! I fathomed the depths of classic VB in no time. VB.Net
>> is by contrast a pig's ear of an application. Plus, it's friggin'
>> ginormous. It's like Starship Enterprise when all you need is a
>> Cessna.
>
> I must admit that I dipped my toes into VB.Net a little myself for a very
> short while. I wrote a very small and simple "Hello World" app which ran
> okay on my machine. I then "built" the application so that the exe and a
> couple of supporting files ended up in a Bin/Release folder and I copied
> that folder over onto my wife's Windows 7 machine which she has had for a
> year or so and which has always been kept bang up to date using Windows
> Update. I tried to run my little VB.Net "Hello World" app on that Windows
> 7 machine and the bloody thing would not run! In order to get it going I
> was forced to download a huge multimegabyte load of Net rubbish, which
> took ages and ages and which required at least one restart. In contrast, a
> simple VB6 "Hello World" app ran fine on that same Windows 7 machine,
> first time without needing to downloas anything at all. That over bloated
> VB.Net garbage is a load of rubbish! A complete waste of disk space.

Channeling the Devil, no, scratch that, I mean Tom Shelton while filtering
out the nasty words: "Go to Project-->Properties-->Compile-->Advanced
Compile Options, and under 'Target Frameworks(all configurations)', select
'.NET Framework 2.0' or the oldest version that you see. The default is to
target the highest version, which the end user may not have."

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

>> Wow. You tried working with a new application that is completely
>> different from what you've been working with for years and you
>> found that you couldn't just jump right in and be productive in one day.
>> Knock me over with a feather.
>
> Ah! At last someone who tells the truth. VB.Net is NOT Visual Basic at
> all. It is something completely different. The name "Visual Basic" is a
> lie. Thank you.

"Completely different" is as much a lie as saying "it's just an upgrade."
The syntax is still BASIC.

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> But trying to fathom the awfully convoluted way Visual Studio Dot Net
>>> does
>>> things was a lesson in hopelessness. I can now see why it never caught
>>> on.
>>
>>Wait, what?
>
> Hey, you're not trying to pretend that the .Net product range has been
> *successful*, are you?!!

All right, tell my why you think it's been "unsuccessful."