microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

[OT] Windows XP and Vista No Office 2013 for you

unknown

7/18/2012 2:48:00 PM

Run Hamster run!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229276/Windows_XP_and_Vista_No_Office_20...

By Gregg Keizer
July 17, 2012 03:58 PM ET

Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the new Office 2013 will
not run on older PCs powered by Windows XP or Vista.

94 Answers

Auric__

Farnsworth wrote:

> Run Hamster run!
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229276/Windows_XP_and_V...
> fice_2013_for_you
>
> By Gregg Keizer
> July 17, 2012 03:58 PM ET
>
> Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the new Office 2013
> will not run on older PCs powered by Windows XP or Vista.

If there's any interest, someone will figure out a way.

--
The desert is merciless. It takes everything from you.

Mike Williams

"Auric__" <not.my.real@email.address> wrote in message

>> Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the
>> new Office 2013 will not run on older PCs powered by
>> Windows XP or Vista.
>
> If there's any interest, someone will figure out a way.

Hopefully there will be /no/ interest. It'll be all bloated Cloud stuff
anyway! People should refuse to buy it! Micro$oft have got a bloody cheek
expecting people to shell out for a new version of a product that doesn't
even work properly anyway and that is guaranteed to become totally
unresponsive to user input under certain specific conditions. They can't
even get the existing 2003 version to work properly, or the 2007 version or
the 2010 version , all of which suffer from exactly the same fault! What a
load of crap. People should vote with their pockets and force the Micro$oft
fairground gypsies to stop spinning the rip off carousel ever faster in an
attempt to stop people gettimg off!

Mike

Auric__

Mike Williams wrote:

> "Auric__" <not.my.real@email.address> wrote in message
>
>>> Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the
>>> new Office 2013 will not run on older PCs powered by
>>> Windows XP or Vista.
>>
>> If there's any interest, someone will figure out a way.
>
> Hopefully there will be /no/ interest. It'll be all bloated Cloud stuff
> anyway! People should refuse to buy it! Micro$oft have got a bloody cheek
> expecting people to shell out for a new version of a product that doesn't
> even work properly anyway and that is guaranteed to become totally
> unresponsive to user input under certain specific conditions. They can't
> even get the existing 2003 version to work properly, or the 2007 version or
> the 2010 version , all of which suffer from exactly the same fault! What a
> load of crap. People should vote with their pockets and force the Micro$oft
> fairground gypsies to stop spinning the rip off carousel ever faster in an
> attempt to stop people gettimg off!

Gee, Mike, tell us how you *really* feel.

--
Wirth's Law:
Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.

Mayayana

| Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the new Office 2013
will
| not run on older PCs powered by Windows XP or Vista.

They're also offering a $40 upgrade to Win8 for virtually
any PC running, as long as it can handle the bloat. (I was
able to install the first beta on a PC with single core AMD
2800 with 500 MB RAM, but the 3rd beta wouldn't install
on the same PC with 750 MB RAM, and seemed to say
that a single core CPU was not adequate.) I'm guessing
that anyone who actually wants to pay for the new version
of MS Office is probably already salivating over the "bargain"
they expect to get on Win8, so the limited functionality of
of the new MS Office won't bother them.

Theo Tress

>> Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the new Office 2013
>> will not run on older PCs powered by Windows XP or Vista.

Oh what a happy man can I be that my twenty year old car still drive
perfectly on new roads, even in curves and crossings!

Auric__

Mayayana wrote:

>| Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the new Office 2013
>| will not run on older PCs powered by Windows XP or Vista.
>
> They're also offering a $40 upgrade to Win8 for virtually
> any PC running, as long as it can handle the bloat. (I was
> able to install the first beta on a PC with single core AMD
> 2800 with 500 MB RAM, but the 3rd beta wouldn't install
> on the same PC with 750 MB RAM, and seemed to say
> that a single core CPU was not adequate.) I'm guessing
> that anyone who actually wants to pay for the new version
> of MS Office is probably already salivating over the "bargain"
> they expect to get on Win8, so the limited functionality of
> of the new MS Office won't bother them.

I don't currently have a computer that will run NT6 acceptably... but I'm
saving up for a Win7 x86 tablet. (~US$530) I'm rushing to get it before it
becomes a Win8 tablet. (Not because I particularly want Win7, but because I
*don't* want Win8.)

--
Sorry to ruin your day, Hacker, but the power's in the pattern!

Helmut_Meukel

Farnsworth beschrieb am 18.07.2012:
> Run Hamster run!
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229276/Windows_XP_and_Vista_No_Office_20...
>
> By Gregg Keizer
> July 17, 2012 03:58 PM ET
>
> Computerworld - Microsoft confirmed yesterday that the new Office 2013 will
> not run on older PCs powered by Windows XP or Vista.

I'm still using Office 2000, because I found no features in the newer
versions to justify an upgrade.

BTW, I have 5 desktops and 1 laptop:
2 are still running Windows 2000,
1 Windows XP,
1 Vista,
2 Windows 7.
I do *not* intend to upgrade any to Windows 8.

Helmut.

Mayayana

| I don't currently have a computer that will run NT6 acceptably... but I'm
| saving up for a Win7 x86 tablet. (~US$530)

I'm very curious about the tablet craze. While many
people I know are buying "smart phones", a surprising
number are also buying tablets. They seem to like them
as constant reference companions, so that they can,
say, look up how many calories are in a potato while they're
cooking it. I can see the appeal of that, up to a point.
But still, both phenomena are hard to understand.
People are paying $90+/month for smartphones, and up
to $600+- for tablets. It's almost reminiscent of the '80s
when people would pay $100 for a 15 minute cocaine buzz,
as though their money was giving them an allergic reaction
and they needed to get all that cash out of their pockets
as quickly as possible... and cocaine was the only way to get
rid of it that quickly, short of throwing it on the street. (And
that would be crazy! :)

For the price you're paying for a tablet, you could almost buy
2 real PCs. (Best Buy and Staples often have something
in the range of $279-299.) What is it about a tablet that
makes it seem worth such a steep price to you?

Mayayana

| I don't currently have a computer that will run NT6 acceptably... but I'm
| saving up for a Win7 x86 tablet. (~US$530) I'm rushing to get it before it
| becomes a Win8 tablet. (Not because I particularly want Win7, but because
| *don't* want Win8.)

I saw yesterday that they announced a Win8 release date
of Oct. 26, with final code next month. I really hope that
they haven't made any sensible changes (like dumping
Metro on PCs) since the betas. I want to watch this boat
go down in flames. There's only one coherent train of thought
I can think of to explain Microsoft's Win8 strategy: They see
nearly all future profits to be made in services delivered
over interactive TVs. (Mainly tablets, maybe later TV sets.)
They want to phase out PCs because those represent
"inconvenient" functionality. And they seem to really believe
that the PC customer base can be "flipped" into a tablet
customer base. (Bill Gates has preposterously
announced that Surface is actually the PC replacement -- a
hybrid of PC and tablet.)

With that logic, it probably seems
rational to them to sacrifice their PC business to a massive
marketing ploy, in hopes that they can "pull an Apple" by
locking in a large number of people to exclusivity with Metro
phones and tablets running the Microsoft store and services.
But there's one glaring gap: As usual, they're mistaking a
money-making strategy for an actual saleable product. It
looks to me like they figure the Metro GUI on PCs will spark
the sale of Metro tablets and phones in a big way: All tiles,
all the time, with money generated wherever tiles are clicked.
But the plan for what people get when they click seems to
be an afterthought. ("You know... stock quotes, sports scores...
and they can buy oodles of stuff that we'll take a cut from.")

Vacuum Sealed

FWIW, my 20 cents.

It does not matter what we the consumer want nor need, we are but sheep
in the flock. If it is not the government ( at all levels ) or the
bank's, supermarket's, fuel & utilities companies, tech suppliers may as
well get in the act and Ass-rape our bank accounts as well..

Put simply, we are an easily manipulated society as one minute we praise
something and in the next breathe we're condemning it. Yes sure some
sections of the community will bemoan it's release, but in the long run
it will be all for zero and you will just have to concede and follow the
leader if you want to maintain the "Status-Quo" of today's society.

And mind you, the vast majority of the social networking generation,
have given them an ideal environment in which to base this new platform
on particularly considering almost 70% of the worlds populace has a
mobile or similar device.

Apple just released a statement stating that all existing Apple device
owners will have to upgrade all their goodies as they are changing all
future devices to a new format meaning everyone who is hypnotised into
using this tech will have to bend over again if they want to keep up
with all the new toys and gizmo's..

My 2 cents are free...:)